Monday, April 8, 2024

G is for Glittery

 


Good Words Alphabetically - G is for Glittery

Did you know those glittery fireflies of our childhood are disappearing?  We can help keep them from dying off with some simple changes to our environment.  Here's a link to some information about our endangered, but not on the list, fireflies:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/are-fireflies-disappearing

A Haiku for a Firefly

small and glittery

stars gather in the meadow

fireflies sos


by Donna JT Smith ©2024


Some summer evenings I've seen fireflies in the small field across the road.  There are not many lights on outside here.  It's a good place to see stars, too.  This penchant for lighting up the night is hurting us.  Until you get somewhere that has no lights for miles, you don't even know what you are missing in the night sky. 

There are way more stars up there than most of us can see.  

Turn off the lights;

Enjoy the show.  

Turn off the music; 

Enjoy the rhythm.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Donna, I share your sentiments regarding turning off the lights, and looking into the night sky.

    I live in a populated city and cherish the days I get to spend out in the back country, where the land is vast, the horizon unobstructed, and when night falls the sky is a sight to behold. It used to be like that here 60 years ago, when I was just a tyke. I remember trying to count the stars... now I hardly see any.

    Sending smiles, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely go out at night, now I want to so I can see the fireflies again.

    https://dbmcnicol.com/a-afterthought/

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

Y is for Yesterday

 A to Z Challenge and National Poetry Month combined in my Good Words Alphabetically: Y is for Yesterday.     Yesterdays' Lessons Yester...