Thursday, April 26, 2018

X is for XLCIOR

It is Poetry Friday, so you can read lots and lots of poems today.  Stop by to check out the links left with our hostess today, Irene Latham, at Live Your Poem.
The Progressive Poem has been "growing and growing", too!  It is nearing its conclusion...
Buffy Silverman has the next line at - Buffy's Blog Go check it out!

I am participating in the A to Z Challenge this month, and today's letter is X.
Click here for the list of blogs participating.
 
I have spent the past year-ish taking pictures of Maine vanity plates when I encountered them - most all in shopping center parking lots.  I am writing a poem for each one, and this year the poem form begins with the same letter.  I found 1 Maine vanity plate for today, and chose a HexSonnetta - the closest I could come to X for a poem format.

A HexSonnetta has two six-line stanzas and a finishing rhyming couplet.  Its rhyme scheme is
of iambic trimeter per line.  The first stanza is the theme of the poem, with the second stanza changes the tone of the poem, to introduce a new aspect or give added details. The final couplet can be either a summary or the resolution to a problem presented. It should tie together the whole, maybe appear as a “twist” at the end.

I was so excited to find this butterfly to go with my plate!
Callicore excelsior, the superb numberwing or excelsior eighty-eight, is a species of butterfly of the family Nymphalidae. It is found in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, and Bolivia.[2]
Adults are black on the upper surface of the wings, with a metallic deep blue sheen on the hindwings, and a broad arc of orange or red on the forewings.


Excelsior - topside

Excelsior - underneath

Excelsior

It flutter-floats forward
on any wispy breeze
any way it pleases
zigging-zagging onward
through the summer upward
clear to the tops of trees

Then ignoring flower
becoming intrusive
seeks salts so elusive
taste for salt or sour
to replenish power -
finds humans condusive.

It's here for a season -
And add to the reason.

by Donna JT Smith, ©2018

*I totally forgot the last line on this stanza.  I had to redo that stanza, even though I liked it as was!  I found more info that I want to incorporate.



7 comments:

  1. Amazing to see this butterfly, so full of color over and under! They do look as if they "flutter-float"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous butterfly, and how serendipitous to find a butterfly and plate that match-Thanks for catching this lovely butterfly in a poem as their life is so short!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lot of thought and research went into this beautiful poem... inspired by a license plate. Who woulda thunk it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful butterfly and poem! This is a new form to me. I'm impressed with your explanation and creation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, what a pairing! I love your Maine pic project, and this poem really adds something unexpected and special. Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment on my PF poem. I agree that "audiencing" is incredibly hard in April, when every ounce of brain is spent writing and blogging! I'm in awe of your project, taking to a whole new level this year with the alphabetic forms!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you find these license plates - Excelsior! I am amazed. Loved the floaty feel of the poem.

    Seema Misra - #AtoZchallenge participant, Artist, Writer, Wanderer, and Dreamer.
    X-tacy of travel: An Ode To Wanderlust

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...