Tuesday, April 10, 2018

J is for Just Me and Jazzetry

Jazzetry is not so much a type of poem, but a poem recited to jazz music in the background.  I decided NOT to write Jazzetry for this today at the last minute, when I saw that I'd not written one.  I will, however, link you to one I did write back in 2012 so you can see/read/sing it.



This is a Joseph's Star poem.  It has no rhyme, and is written with 1,3,5,7,7,5,3,1 syllables, center aligned and no stanza limit.  Each line should have a complete statement in each line.

 Just Me

What?
The time's come?
Sky blue pink sunset.
Tomorrow's come unannounced;
The heavy door cracks open
One would go through it;
It can't be.
Alone?

By Donna JT Smith, ©2018

I'm sorry.  I don't know where this came from or why.  I wasn't sad until it happened.  Now I'm going to write a happy one so I don't have to have this ringing in my ears.

                                                          ******* +++++++ ******* +++++++

Here's one I just wrote using a Jeffreys Sonnet - an isosyllabic (only 8 syllable per line), 2 sestets with a cross rhymed couplet (the cross rhyme is in the 2nd to 4th syllable in each of the two lines of the couplet). Also there is a cross rhyme in the first line of the 2nd sestet (between the 2nd to 4th syllable), tying the 1st sestet to the 2nd. So the rhyme scheme would be: aabccb, (b)ddeffe, (e)g (g)e. The letters in ( ) are the cross rhymes.

Just Me

Is it just me or is the moon
Shining a more singier tune?
Is the loons' laughter happier?
Are the spring peepers cheepier,
And melty snowmen sleepier?
Are fingers a bit snappier?

Is downy tappier on wood,
And is the squirrel looking good?
Is it just me who smells spring?
I know the rocks and old leaves do
As small green shoots grow up and through
The warming mud to bring us things

Like flower zings in bluet field,
And garden yield of butter wings.

by Donna JT Smith, ©2018





5 comments:

  1. Those were both beautiful poems! It's amazing how words can change our mood so quickly. <a href="http://melaniecrousesblog.blogspot.com/2018/04/j-is-for-josh-barro.html>Melanie's Stories</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found it! Add the second quotation marks between .html and > Like this: .html"> Adding that makes it works as a link. I usually type it out on a page somewhere as a note so I can copy and paste it into my comments if I want it there. Then I don't have to type it all up each time.

      Delete
  2. I love jazzetry and always think Joy Harjo is the epitome of this genre.

    I enjoyed both your Just Me poems, and am certainly learning lots about forms. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of the poems written on this page are fabulous and full of vivid imagery. I can’t write poetry, but I still appreciate reading it. I hopped over and read the jazzetry as well. I wish I had the talent. I enjoyed Joseph’s Star Poem. I like poems that have certain syllables per line like This one or haikus. They seem so difficult to write. Enjoyed the lesson and reading your work.
    Melissa @
    Sugar Crime Scene

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...