Sunday, April 1, 2018

A is for ANJL STR

Tah-dah!  Here we go!!
http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/2018/03/master-list-sign-ups.html

It is the start of the Great A to Z Challenge!!  Want to know more?  Want to read other bloggers' posts?  Check out the list of participants and links here. or click on the image above.

As for me, I am doing poems from A to Z this month - inspired by Maine vanity license plate sightings over the past year...since the last A to Z Challenge.  This is my third year, doing this.  I may have to move on to other things someday, but so far the vanity plates are in good supply!

Here are two new plates that sprouted up this year:



I am going to use"ANJL STR" as my poetry prompt.

I discovered that there is a song and book with the title Angel Star.  Watch and listen here:



I wrote this poem before I'd decided to go with alphabetical poetry forms.  So later I rewrote the poem at the end of this.

Angel Star

You were sent to us
in the dark of night
When all the world had
lost its bright
Abruptly changing
our point of view
Your eyes a-twinkle
 pierced us through
You beheld our souls
as we held you fast
and thanked the Lord
You were here at last.

by Donna JT Smith

Here is the poem rewritten, reformatted, revised to be in the "alouette" format:

http://www.shadowpoetry.com/resources/wip/alouette.html

The Alouette:
consists of two or more stanzas of 6 lines each, with the following set rules:
Meter: 5, 5, 7, 5, 5, 7
Rhyme Scheme: a, a, b, c, c, b

Angel Star

Sent to us one night

Dark became delight

Abundant, ever-glowing;



Your eyes twinkled blue

Mine pooled with love's dew -

Unbounded, overflowing.

Held in trembling hands

Wanting to still sands

Please, tumbling time be slowing.

Though the world twirls on

And time spun is gone

Love's multiplied and growing.

by Donna JT Smith

Enjoy more of A today...And now I can listen to the video along with you.  I was afraid it would affect my poem too much, so I just plunked it in here and didn't watch or listen!
and Happy Easter!!

11 comments:

  1. Happy Easter Donna. An uplifting sort of vanity plate and your poem makes my heart warm. Thank you.
    Alum Chine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you rewrote the poem in a different form; very unique! That requires a lot more thought than I think people realize sometime. Happy AtoZing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem. I loved the alouette form of the poem. Technical finesse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely poem to start the challenge with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice poem...Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your post today. Beautiful poetry. Visiting from
    If I Only Had A Time Machine

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have given yourself a HUGE challenge this year! As always, I will enjoy reading along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is interesting to see the two poems using different formats. Both are lovely. Good luck with this year's a to z challenge. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still not seeing many vanity plates, love that someone has this one. Both poems are just right for this beginning of April, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely poem :-)

    Ronel from Ronel the Mythmaker A-Zing with Everything Writerly: A is for AuthorToolboxBlogHop

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...