Thursday, April 5, 2018

F is for Fix M and Free Verse



F is for Fix M and Free Verse or Fib??  Oh, and also for FRIDAY.... I'm scheduling my posting, so it just dawned on me that this is Poetry Friday!  So check out more poems at Amy's blog, The Poem Farm, where today's list of poetry blogs to visit is being hosted!  Also, check out the Progressive Poem instigated by sweet Irene Latham.  We are on Day 6 - Line 6 of a poem created by a group of 30 people.  My line doesn't come up until April 15, so who knows what will be happening at that point!  Join us is celebrating poetry this month!
Oh, yeah!!  And Matt Forrest Esenwine won the drawing for the jelly beans with his Theodora poem for Solar Bear! They were all out of Jelly Belly beans everywhere, but the Classics are on their way, Matt!  Thanks for that beauty of a twist in your poem!  Here's the link to the Padlet to read it if you haven't.


  Here is the MASTER LIST of ALL participants who signed up for the #AtoZchallenge 2018!
 
Free Verse is an irregular form of poetry in which the content is free of traditional rules of meter or rhyme.
Line breaks are the poet's main consideration at natural pauses or at points of suspense for the reader.

http://www.shadowpoetry.com/resources/wip/free.html   

***********************************************************************
Fix 'Em

A broken voice
quavers
as a soul's cry
shimmers the
sidewalks
with shards of 
the lost whole
silica again
it is not
dust to dust
time
the weatherman calls for
cleansing showers
to revoke stains
and restore
mirrors
press through
all is right as
healing rain.

by Donna JT Smith, 2018 


Aw, then I had to go an read Namy's's E post and there it was...  a Fib poem. 
 THE FIB is a type of poetry that follows the Fibonacci series i.e 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21…It is an infinite series and the next number in the series in the sum of the two preceding numbers.

So I decided to try and adapt this one to that format just for some fickle fun.  And it wasn't as hard as I thought.  I evidently used mostly the right number of syllables in the right order to make the switch fairly fluidly and fluently.  
Fah-dah!


***********************************************************************

I found this plate just after writing my FIX M poem.  It could have been an interesting poem subject!


I saw the owner in the car so stopped to ask about taking a picture, and ask if it was "finer print" or "fingerprint".  It was the latter, and she gave me a business card.  They make custom fingerprint rings right here locally.  I don't usually pass this information on, because I am not a commercial site, but suffice it to say, if you do a search on fingerprint - rings - Maine, you will find them!  It is well-worth a peek!


29 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading free style poetry, but I prefer writing to a structure
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! For some reason, the confines of structure help me think it through. The more rules the better even - makes it like a puzzle!

      Delete
  2. I never head of a fib poem before. I like seeing your before and after. I cannot tell which one I like more, but I am leaning toward the fib format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had run across them before, but never written one. If I hadn't been scooting around on the AtoZ I wouldn't have found it!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous fib! The free verse, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Lee! I ended up being happier with F than I had started out!

      Delete
  4. This is my first Blogging A to Z challenge; I'm loving seeing the work of others!
    Enjoyed your free verse!
    Never heard of a fib poem, but now that I have, I like it. Go, Fibonacci!
    gabaroo.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you've joined! It is a lot of fun getting the bloggers all together like this!

      Delete
  5. I have my gifted and talented children write a Fibonacci poem every year when we study him! For some reason it never occurred to me that other people might be writing them too. Your poem is much more lyrical than my students poems! I'm going to show it to them.
    Melanie's Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied using my phone, but the response disappeared. Lots of strangeness going on!
      Anyway, yes, students' poems can get very stilted. I used to have to show my students a number of acrostics, and write a couple together as a group so they could see how it could flow and not just be a list of words. Sometimes it does help to do a free form and turn it into the "syllable count" poems to avoid the stilted - because a poem is about meaning and rhythm, not about getting the syllables right at any expense!
      I'm flattered that you would use it as a mentor poem. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for a very enjoyable post, Donna. I checked out the "finger print ring." Very interesting... even footprints! I think "Fix 'Em" and "Fix" would be great mentor texts to compare and contrast crafting of same subject, vocabulary, by same author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty amazing rings. I'm tempted to get one, as my original wedding ring had to be cut off over 30 years ago, and I have only had temporary "replacement" rings since then. 46 years is coming up. It might be time for a new ring.
      As for Fix'm and Fix: It was fun to see whether it could be done or if it would "feel" or "sound" better.

      Delete
  7. Both are poems of hope, Donna. I am often glad for "cleansing showers"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleansing showers - the ones that clear the air in summer - are just the best!

      Delete
  8. You are fantastically creative with your form and features of your site. Fabulous feats!

    Thanks for writing and reading,

    Sarah Butland
    author of Fill In The Blank Letters, I Saw the Forest and more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you are having fun with AtoZ!

      Delete
  9. I remember participating in your license plate challenge fondly. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard NOT to do vanity plates here! But I think next year I may go back to lobster boat names for a bit of a change. I'll be taking pictures this summer and then I'll know if I am going to have enough. Are you doing poems or atoz? Nevermind, I'll go check!!

      Delete
  10. Fiddle dee dee, I love your fiddling with fib and free verse. And you do find the most interesting license plates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find only the finest kind! Remember "Go Jama"?
      https://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2017/04/go-jama-atozchallenge.html

      Delete
  11. First, you make me say WOW! Then, you make me laugh. Fah-DA! indeed. All those beautiful "s" words in your poem sound like rain....April showers to bring May flowers, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are right! There are lots of s sounds in that poem. How wonderful! Wish I'd been knowing I was doing it when I did it - all subconsciously slipped through!

      Delete
  12. Wonderful poem. I enjoyed reading it :) Also interesting plates!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked seeing the difference in structure between the two versions. Both work well, but they do read differently.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so clever, Donna! I love the optimism of the final lines.

    ReplyDelete
  15. F is also for fun! Thanks for sharing the fun poems.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "all is right as healing rain" - indeed. There is something healing about rain. Your work with the plates is so clever and cool - you are always on the lookout. And fingerprint rings! I had a fingerprint bracelet made long ago - with each of our 3 children's fingerprints on it. Memories! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, maybe next year, when I'm retired I can take on the A to Z challenge. I love the free verse.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...