Wednesday, April 25, 2018

W is for Wolf and Wedge Verse

I am participating in the A to Z Challenge this month, and today's letter is T.

I wrote a Wedge verse also known as a Rhopalic.  More about this form here
Rhopalic - Each succeeding unit is longer than the preceding one. Applied to a line, it means that each successive word is a syllable longer that its predecessor. Applied to a stanza, each successive line is longer by either a syllable or a metrical foot.



This didn't make a lot of sense to me, so I have to go looking for a sample of it.  Otherwise it looks a lot like and Etheree....



Here's one where each word is one syllable longer:

Wolf
howling,
echoing,
penetrating,
reverberating,
Indefatigable,
individualistic
territorialization

by Donna JT Smith, ©2018

And then I did this one where each line is a syllable longer.  I hope this is right.  I like this second one...almost an etheree - just not 10 lines.

Wolf’s
Echoes
Refill night’s
Sail with wild wails
His song washing stars
Silver moon shimmers cold
Penetrating night’s presence
Wolf’s howls a turmoil under gray

By Donna JT Smith, ©2018

Oh, wait, I get the first one now...But wait... How about this format?  I am naming this one

Wolves howling nocturnal emanations
calling companions reunited
surreal circumstances
congregating













2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I got such a clear image of the wolves and their howls, and I could almost feel the silver moon shimmering cold! Melanie's Stories

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...