Tuesday, April 16, 2019

N is for NTHSTAR #AtoZ Challenge

It is day 16 of National Poetry Month. I am writing poems every day in April.
It is also the month of the AtoZ Challenge, and my 8th year in participating.
Combining the two, I am writing poems based on Maine vanity plates I've spied this past year.
The AtoZ does not have a letter for Sundays, but I will post a non-vanity plate or extra vanity plate poem on that day.
Today is day 14 of the AtoZ, and we are on the letter N.
N is for...both of these!



And N is for Nonet.  The Nonet is a 9-line poem having 9 syllables in the first line, 8 syllables in the second line, 7 syllables in the third line, and continues to count down to one syllable in the final (ninth) line.

North Star

Look deep up into night’s clear, dark sky
Into the depths of sky’s ocean
Where the glittering fish swim
And the dippers tip hats
Merak and Dubhe
Point the way to
Polaris,
The North
Star

By Donna JT Smith ©2019

With just a little bit of tweaking, I turned this Nonet into an Acrostic-Nonet - which I THINK I just invented...I shall dub it the Acro-Donet!  Lol!

North Star

Night of clear, dark sky, I look upward;
Ocean’s depths overhead twinkle,
Radiant glitter fish swim,
Tipping dippers align.
Haste, Merak, Dubhe -
Seek Polaris.
The North Star
Anchor
Rocks!

By Donna JT Smith, 2019

 *****************************************
Extra N vanity plates:








7 comments:

  1. Great job on them both! I love that "dippers tip hats."
    I have a nonet coming up in U.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another new form of poetry that I enjoyed learning about. Even with the required economy of words, your message was clear and a pleasure to read.
    http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/
    (AtoZ Theme: very short stories/various genres)
    N is for: Narthex, Nave, and Exorcisms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. Have been off my reading schedule lately...life and all...but will return the visit!

      Delete
  3. The Acro-Donut sounds more like a yoga pose than a poem! (Okay, "donet", but still...) Nevertheless, how clever of you to have invented it.
    Black and White: N is for Ninki Nanka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, it does...now to invent the move for THAT!

      Delete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...