Thursday, March 23, 2017

Poetry Friday


Today is Poetry Friday, and Catherine is hosting at Reading to the Core.
The game is afoot!

I'm posting the Scavenger Hunt I quickly put together when Tabatha Yeatts thought maybe I could challenged me to make an online version of what her very gifted and talented and obviously LOVING daughter did for her birthday!  I cannot help but steal a good idea, or fall for a challenge, so I did. 
See here for historical, birthdatical references...
Click on the cake!

To post clues, I stole Michell H. Barnes idea of using a padlet.  She uses one for people to post poems, I thought it might work for a Scavenger Hunt.  Let's see!

I will be posting POSTED a second scavenger hunt on the padlet, too, after some poems become available through the Poetry Friday linkups today.  So if you have done the first scavenger hunt and want more, there will be IS a new one very soon!

If YOU want to make a hunt for the rest of us to solve, create your own box on the padlet with the clues.  Click anywhere on the padlet to create an editable box.  See how I formatted it, with:
  • name of blog linked (you don't need the date)
  • P for # of poem on the page
  • L for which Line to go to in the poem
  • W for which Words in that line to use. 
In creating a hunt, please limit your poem selections to those listed as participating in Poetry Friday this week.  It will enhance our readings and visits to the bloggers here this week!

My suggestion, from the limited experience I've had, is that you should try a short poem first...maybe only 4 lines.  It can be time consuming and your family will not know you anymore.  I only made this one long because I have CLIGS - "Can't Let It Go Syndrome" - or maybe I just wanted to see how many I could get... ok, maybe that's the same syndrome.

When you are in a hunt or if you are making one, remember these rules for Poetic Success.
  • Click on the links in order.  
  • Look for the poem, line and words.  
  • Copy them down in the order given. Tah-dah... a poem.  The first one has 9 lines
  • If you have done the poem, you can post the completed poem on your page.
  • Then in the comments in the padlet box where you found the clues, or in the comments on this page, put a link to show where your poem is so others may cheat check to see how you did. (See the comments box on the padlet to see how I put mine in)
The link to the March Scavenger Hunt padlet is at the top of this blog right under my header.  Click on that to get started!

My second hunt will be up later today or Saturday.  I need time to see what's there!  If you post a hunt to the padlet, I will see if it works out to post it also on my page one of the days this next week for extra coverage and opportunity.
Don't forget to wear a badge if you do either part of a scavenger hunt.  You may wear it for the rest of your life.  Or your blog's life anyway.

Questions?  Comment so I can help out.  Broken stuff?  Let me know so I can fix it!

Next month is:
  • Poetry Month 
  • and the AtoZ Challenge.  I will be posting a poem a day - and my theme this year is again Vanity Plates in Maine.  Oh, we have more!  I will post a plate and a poem a day all month long.  
  • And we'll try to get a Scavenger Hunt in, too.  
  • Oh, and the Progressive Poem.  
  • Oh, and a trip to PA for my grand daughter's birthday 
  • and my daughter's birthday, kind of.  
Wait.
  • AND I'm moving?  
Ok, no problem.  I've got this.  I forgot my poem.  Double Haiku.

The Writer

🌹
Where are you going
bags packed with punctuation,
words, white space and heart?
🌹
To scribe my story,
 of unpacked thoughts and burdens
on white space, with heart.
🌹
 by Donna JT Smith

Hope to have something for ME to solve on the padlet!  I have extra time now!

35 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Donna. Where do you get your energy? Just reading your post makes me want to pause and take a breath. Good Luck with all your activities. Are you making a poetry cake for your granddaughter's birthday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. A poetry cake...another problem to think about! I wonder what the options are. Maybe I could make her a poetry bag for her birthday. She'll be three and she LOVES purses and bags for carrying things. A little writer's bag! Might be just the thing!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your move and scavenger hunts are such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be an interesting move, and I'm trying not to overthink it! Still in Maine, even closer to the ocean (like we can see it and walk to it), and a much smaller place.
      I take my mind off trying to figure it out by doing the scavenger hunt!

      Delete
  3. "Kind of" your daughter's birthday? Sounds like there's a poem there. Enjoyed your double haiku, Donna, and boy, was I right that you were the person to figure out blog literary scavenger hunts!! Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's "kind of her birthday" because they live so far away, live closer to her husband's side of the family, and they have so many birthdays all in the space of a week, that they make one day everyone's birthday...and we go to it. I'm not a big fan of doing this. My cousin and I were one day apart, and we celebrated ours together sometimes. That was okay because I didn't see them often so it was special that way. But as I only have one daughter and one grand daughter, I like to have them each have their own special day.

      Delete
  4. Donna, you make me smile and smile with all your exuberance and "I got this." :) What a full month April will be! And I have to tell you: I LOVE that first stanza of your poem! Where will that writer go with those packed bags?! What a great image. Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this image of myself packing up all I needed and heading to a quiet spot to unlock, unpack and unfold my words and thoughts. That, with a cup of coffee, is all I need to make me smile. It's my dream to someday go to a Highlights workshop. But really, I do have all I need here.

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a busy month coming up. Enjoy all the excitement going on in your life and writing. I'm excited that you included my Poetry Friday post in your scavenger hunt! It will be fun to see it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have checked and double checked to make sure I wrote it all out right. Boy, I hope I did. I will take one more check on it, then forget it for a while. I'm excited to see if anyone tries it! I think it will be worth the time.

      Delete
  6. Donna, you are amazing. (Um, any chance you could take your amazing skills to Washington? We could use them there. Hey, it was worth asking....) ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Oh, yeah, I'd be good...(that was my sarcastic tone. It's hard to detect in typing. Sometimes it's hard to detect when I'm talking...)

      Delete
  7. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't find a link to the padlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it! I tried to make the font larger, but it takes messing with the html in blogger, and I didn't want to risk doing a major error right now. I think I can do it for the next one. I've messed with their html before and it isn't that bad. Just takes a little time.

      Delete
  8. I have to wait till tonight, must go to get Ingrid. There's so much I want to savor here today, Donna. I must tell you thought that since last year I look here for vanity plates, and see so few still. Guess it just doesn't happen in Denver? Or I'm not looking enough! Will return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maine seems to be the Vanity Plate State. Just in the travels I've done, I see so many more here. Maybe they are more expensive elsewhere, or maybe we are just more vain...

      Delete
    2. I've done the "long" poem, had a little trouble with the transition from 9 to 10 & 17 to 18. It turned out to be a lovely picture of walking out, though. What a challenge!

      Delete
    3. I have a period or dash ending 9 and a question mark for 10 as questioning the possibility as an answer.
      Between 17 and 18 - 17 refers back to 12, 14, 16. But because it is NOT one but LIKE it then 19.
      Oh, boy! That could be very confusing. I almost left out 18 and 19. And maybe we should vote on that! Read it with and without to see which is better. I wanted to get a student poem in so I maybe stretched it a bit too thin!
      Congratulations on completing the long one!

      Delete
  9. Wow, you've been busy! Nice to all you're doing to promote writing and poetry...have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's snowing again, so what else can you do but write and wait for it to get high enough to enjoy shoveling?

      Delete
  10. Donna, you sure are busy! I love your Scavenger Hunt idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an adaptation of Tabatha's daughter's birthday present to her!

      Delete
  11. I'm still working on this.... funny that Maine has so many vanity plates, I though that's a New Jersey thing, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a project! What a boatload of projects!! You go, girl! Can't wait for another year of ABC Vanity Plate poems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm behind of the plates! I've always had quite a few poems ready by now for April. None yet this year! I do have most of the plates set to go though at least.

      Delete
  13. Your scavenger hunt project amazes me, Donna. I hope I'll have a minute this weekend to play along. I love your haiku. "White space and heart" are so important, aren't they? Good luck with your travels and moving. Being closer to the ocean is my idea of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can give it a go sometime this week, even if you don't get it finished. I'll make a shorter one next!

      Delete
  14. Yikes! I hope you have a calendar and great organizational skills to get all this done. Your double haiku is perfect. Just perfect. (As always.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so not organized with the house. I think I'm over organizing the rest of my life to make up for it!

      Delete
  15. Donna, thanks for the Scavenger hunt poem. What you've written is a Cento and it is an excellent way to approach the terrifying task of writing one. Oh, I so appreciate your sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for "Cento". I've done these before but didn't know what they were called.

      Delete
  16. Love your haiku Donna, especially the second one! I hope to participate in your scavenger hunt when I don't have so many things on my plate, which is quite full presently. All the best with all goings on!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice, Donna. I'm overloaded at the moment, trying to get some things finished so I can work consistently on a project through April. I love your energy. Can you share some of it with me?!

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...