Thursday, April 25, 2013

V is for Valerie J

Valerie J is peeking through the rails, grounded at dock - not a common situation for a lobster boat.

"Valerie J"
Tides are the masters
That say where to go
And how to return -
We heed high and low.

Highs and lows
Of tidal flows.

Weather is mistress
 Dictating speed -
How soon for home
As storms we heed.

Storms to weather-
Weather together.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Education Volume:
V-Notch -
V-tail or V-notched = A notch in the flipper to the right of the center flipper.  If a berried female (remember that means she has eggs under her tail) without a notched tail is caught, the lobsterman cuts a notch cut in her tail and releases her. If a lobsterman catches a female with a notched tail, he must release her; as it means she is a breeding female. After a few molts, notches grow out and the lobster is a legal catch (unless she has eggs again of course).

22 comments:

  1. Great thoughts. I hope to find good friends to weather any coming storms. Learning lots about lobsters and Maine as well. Will be back.

    Mary from
    http://mary-anderingcreatively.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in! Hope to see you again!

      Delete
  2. Storms to weather/ weather together...
    I LOVED that.

    Sania at Embracing Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sania!
      I made a quick trip over to your space, too!

      Delete
  3. I like the pace and feel of this poem....we heed hight and low. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! It does have a wave kind of flow.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful piece. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie! Hope to see you again for W, X, Y and Z!

      Delete
  5. Shared experiences and support from others keep us stronger.

    Lee
    Blogging from A to Z
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that's really cool about the eggs, i had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a way to insure that we continue to have lobsters. It isn't done everywhere.

      Delete
  7. Great poem! I wondered when I saw 'Mainely' if it would be about Maine! I have only ever read about Maine - it seems quite a few novels are set there ...
    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! You are right about the novels - quite a few have their settings here. "Message in a Bottle" was filmed here not too far from where I live. Caused quite a stir...saw the cast at the local bowling alley when I was there.

      Delete
  8. I love Maine -- went to a destination wedding there, so beautiful. We have an amazing country which we do not always appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever we travel to other states we are amazed at all the beautiful places we have available to us in this country! I don't think we always know what we have.

      Delete
  9. Really like that poem. Made me smile, I even clicked on the picture to enlarge it to see her better. Very nice! A-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! The pictures are pretty small to save space on Blogger. I'm not sure how close I am to the limit after 2 1/2 years of posting, but I want to maximize my opportunity! Hope you come back for W, X, Y and Z!

      Delete
  10. Beautifully done, Donna. I like the style of your poem this time, says a lot in just a few words.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...