Thursday, April 18, 2013

P is for Putty N Paint


"Putty N Paint"

I hold the stories
Of old lobster men
Whose putty and paint
Made me whole again.

I hold their lives and
I still hold a dream
And I know what makes
 Their seablue eyes gleam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Stay tuned for the elusive Q!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Educational Portion:

Pistol = a lobster that has lost its claws.  Fortunately, they do regenerate their claws.

Pegs = lobstermen used wooden or plastic pegs inserted into the base of the claws to prevent lobsters from opening them. Now they band them with rubber bands to keep their claws closed.

P is for Psalm.  I thought it an interesting rewrite...don't know who wrote it, but given to me by a teen lobster(wo)man - preferred term is lobsterman.

Captain’s 23rd Psalm

The Lord is my pilot, I shall not drift,
He lighteth me across the dark waters,
He keepeth my log.
He guideth me by the star of holiness, for His Name’s sake
Yea, though I sail ‘mid the thunders and tempests of life,
I shall dread no danger, for Thou are near me.
Thy love and Thy care, they shelter me.
Thou preparest a harbour for me in the homeland of eternity.
Thou anointest the waves with oil; my ship rideth calmly.
Surely, sunlight and starlight shall favour me on the voyage I take,
and I will rest in the port of my God forever.


12 comments:

  1. Awesome P post! I enjoyed your poem a lot.
    Connie
    A to Z-ing to the end
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! Just got back from your site. Loved the Pants story.

      Delete
  2. i love that--"putty and paint"--if only it could do the same for everything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it would make life easier if we could just putty and paint over lots of imperfections!

      Delete
  3. really like the putty and paint poem..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. It seemed a quiet, pensive sort of boat that had been around the bay a few times!

      Delete
  4. Putty and paint and perhaps some duct tape? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boat name is perfect for a poem. And what a poem it is! Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boat name is perfect for a poem. And what a poem it is! Very touching.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...