Saturday, April 13, 2013

L is for Lil Dipper

Lobster Boat Names from A to Z - 
Click on the A-to-ZChallenge tab above to go links to more A to Z posts!

Today's post from me is brought to you by the letter L!   First up is "Lil Dipper" and below an original poem for her.  Then there is Lasca J, a slightly larger boat with her own original poem.

Lil Dipper
"Lil Dipper"
                                           I'm a bobber, dobber, lobster boat
                                           Who bounces atop the sea
                                           I may look small but I'm no joke
                                           There's no one catches me!

                                           I'm a whipper, dipper, lobster clipper
                                           Who works a steady pace
                                           I may look cute but watch your back
                                           I'll beat you in any race!

 
Lasca J
"Lasca J"
High water or low
I'll push on the same
Skimming by others
Who know me by name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Legal lobster (in Maine) =
  • has a carapace between 3 1/4 and 5 inches long
  • is not a berried female.
  • has no V-notch, nicks, grooves, or indentations of any kind along its edge on the female tail flipper.

Live-tank or Live-well = A tank filled with seawater to hold live lobsters.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll be posting on Sunday, though it won't be a lobster boat poem.  Sunday is a day off from the A to Z Challenge, but it will be a poem, and there will be pictures related to lobstering and Maine, so come on back then!

10 comments:

  1. I like the poem for "Lil Dipper" a lot. It may be my favorite one so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I liked this little boat. It was sitting not to far from a larger one, and it just had this attitude!

      Delete
  2. Seems like an appropriate name for a lobster boat. Gee, I haven't had lobster tail in years. Love it, but it's just too expensive most of the time.

    Lee
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lobster prices were way down last summer. Not sure what it will be like this year. But often you don't see much of a difference in restaurant prices anyway - just buying them off the dock is a better deal.

      Delete
  3. Very clever poem!! Light and fun.
    Did you know you still had on word verification?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks! No, didn't know. Didn't even check because I was positive I didn't. Guess I'll have to check it even when I'm positive! Grrrr!

      Delete
  4. Lovely poem. Love how you end it ... 'others know me by name.' Tells me how many time Dipper has ben out there.
    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like them! Lil Dipper is a pretty experienced little boat, but the second one is the Lasca J, who is a bit older (and maybe wiser?) boat!
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  5. Lively Li'l Dipper poem! It's a real toe tapper.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the Little Dipper poem as well.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...