Thursday, January 19, 2017

Poetpourri

 If you got to here on January 27th, this is an old post.  Sorry for the confusion, I linked wrong on Carol's site today!  Please redirect your comments and reading to today's post and poem at https://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2017/01/poetpourrie-friday.html


Happy Poetry Friday!  As you finish here, visit sweet Violet who is hosting the Poetry Friday Roundup today!

News regarding the Poetpourri:

I am having SO much fun with this Potpourri of Poetic lines that I am going to open it up to one and all!  Here is what I wrote last Saturday about it:

New thought.  NEW THOUGHT! (Yes, I'm yelling.)

What if anyone who had a mind to, composed a poem at the same time I am?  Same lines used, same reveal day?
Raise your hand if you think that would be fun!  You know it would!

I am closing the submission of lines now, so everyone will see them today and start asap if they are interested.

I will post the lines, and rules at the end of each blog post this week for anyone who wants to take a poetic shot at tweaking and assembling them to create a ferocious poem.

The finished poem should be posted on each Poem Potpourri Poet's site on January 27, 2017, and linked to Poetry Friday Roundup to get lots of visibility.  I will also have a link up on Friday, for double visibility.

So, I am officially opening this up.  
I think it would be fun to see what comes of these lines in all our different brains!

Looking forward to reading all the poems! Pass it on!

Here are the Poem Potpourri lines for use in a each of our grand ferocious poems:

  1. Buffy S: "ferocious women who never bring you coffee" - refrigerator magnetic poetry
  2. Donna S (me): "always leave a wild song" - refrigerator magnetic poetry
  3. Linda B: "dreaming women do art in poetry" - from her pile of poetry blocks
  4. Buffy S: "where wizards and wolves rush by in a blur of green and gold and gray" - patched together from Kate Dicamillo's Where Are You Going Baby Lincoln
  5. Kay: "ignore the awful times, and concentrate on the good ones" from Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five
  6. Linda M: "waking the world to a new day"
  7. Margaret S: "steam that climbs like smoke from a fire" - this was in the comments the first week, and I'm not sure if it is a comment or a line... but I'm using it! 
  8. Carol V: "fearless women reach out, connect, and find joy in life's intertwined moments" - Connecting the word "fearless" that April had used last week.
  9. Tabatha Y: "little chest to put the Alive in" - Emily Dickinson
  10. Joy: "wear loose clothing and a smile" - from a thought and some connections
  11. Jan GA:  "I feel like there should be more stories out there for girls, and I try to tell them" - a quote from Hope Larson from the book COMICS CONFIDENTIAL.
  12. Mary Lee H: "ferocious women do not exaggerate" - from Mary Oliver's UPSTREAM on page 109, "I do not exaggerate."
  13. Brenda H: "make a ferocious dinner that eats masks, drips truth and saves softness for dessert"
  14. Keri L: "radical at their core" from her husband's magazine, "Guns & Ammo"
  15. Kiesha S: "ferocious women would rather drink the wind" - a line from Mary Oliver's (Why I Wake Early) titled "The Arrowhead"
  16. Diane M: "Out of endurance, exaltation" - a line from the poem "Monadnock" by Robert Francis.
     
If you choose to accept this assignment/challenge, here are the guidelines:
  1. You may break the given lines up into phrases, esp. if the line is broken into prepositional phrases.  
  2. A word used in a line may be repeated elsewhere as needed.
  3. You may add or change articles (a, an, the...).
  4. You may change tenses, as necessary for meaning.  
  5. If you haven't added a line to the poem, you may not add one now. Others won't have it in their pile of phrases to use - so it won't really be as intriguing.
  6. However, if you can create a brand new line using individual words from the given lines, feel free! Do not do that for the whole poem though - that may be another challenge on another day! 
  7. Phrases should still be identifiable even though the whole line may not be in one unit still. (for example: "ignore the awful times" may be used in one place and "concentrate on the good ones" may be in another place).  
  8. Remember, these are only guidelines, as it IS poetry and we ARE poets...
  9. Rules are meant to be broken.
  10. You may make your own rules if you don't like these - and that way you aren't breaking a rule.
  11. You need to use ALL the submitted lines in some way.
  12. Please copy and paste the list of participants and their lines in your blog so that each is credited, along with some of their sources for the lines!
  13. Link up here on that day also for potential extra traffic to your poem!
  14. There is no 14.  I just didn't want to stop on 13.
And now my own double haiku for today:

Poem 20

Sky sputters today
Angry fists and frosty fits
Icy drips of spit

Sky will sing again
Happy hums, laughter, bright eyes
Heartwarming suntouch

Donna JT Smith

32 comments:

  1. Oh! What a fun challenge. I think I'm in. Your double haiku is perfect for today. Sky will shine indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see what comes of these lines!
      Sky is still sputtering here!

      Delete
  2. I like your poem. I love all those lines. I will think about participating, but I'm afraid I might have to pass because I am deep into writing my next book. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only raise your head from that new book if you need a little break or refreshment! First things first!

      Delete
  3. Love that "sky sputters", Donna. I think we may have a little 'sputtering' today too! Will see what I can do with your challenge! The lines are fun and so varied!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skies are still gray here way up in northern Maine near the Canadian border, where we are visiting my husband's mom. Lots of snow here.
      Have fun with the lines. I know you will!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun challenge! It's always fun to get the creative juices flowing and the brain gears churning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in--at least I will attempt it. It's quite a challenge, isn't it. I like the contrast between your haiku. I'm ready to see a bit of some "heartwarming suntouch."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee! I'm looking forward to reading your poem.

      Delete
  6. Donna, you have provided a bit of fun for everyone. I am going to take a look at the lines and see what comes of my review. As for your haiku, it has a double meaning for sure. I look forward to a heartwarming suntouch to brighten the gloomy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got our sun today for a bit in the afternoon.
      Looking forward to your contribution!

      Delete
  7. Donna, you are a burst of energy! Love your poetry passion. All these lines are wonderful. I wonder what we all can do with them. Angry fists and frosty fits.....oooooh, isn't that the truth? I'll be hunting that suntouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got a bit of suntouch today finally! Hope to read a ferocious poem from you!

      Delete
  8. What a lot of rich raw material here! It will be fun to see what kind of poetry mosaic results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you will be adding your voice!! I'd love to read what you come up with!

      Delete
  9. I didn't realize until just now that I made the list! I thought you were only taking refrigerator poetry, and I am fresh out. Holiday cards have taken over my fridge. My line has a typo: "then eats masks" should read "that eats masks". Love these lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the line correction! It was originally "than" so I took a guess! I've corrected it. I hope there are a few takers out there!

      Delete
  10. As I look out at yet another rainy day, your poem fits in perfectly. I did intend the steam line to be included, so I'm glad you did. This is a crazy fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have some moments to take a stab at it! Yours is sure to be wonderful!

      Delete
  11. Fun, fun! I can't wait to see the poetry submissions for this project! It is a challenging task indeed. I do admire how you have intertwined powerful actions with the subtleties of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like poem 20'a reminder that sun will follow storm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've written a ferocious one, Donna. What great stuff to dig into. Thoughts on sharing and connecting? Shall I go ahead and post it and link up down the road? Actually, if you don't have another plan, I might share mine Friday. It fits with my vibe since the inauguration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! The finished poem should be posted on each person's site on Friday, January 27, 2017, and linked to Poetry Friday Roundup to get lots of visibility. I will also have a link up here on Friday, for double visibility! It would be best to wait so everyone reveals on the same day.

      Delete
  14. I usually post Thurs afternoon for Poetry Friday because Friday mornings are super busy and also in acknowledgement of the time zone issue -- the Aussies get to Friday way before us. Otherwise, I am on board.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just saw Linda Baie's post about this...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I entered the wrong link to this. To read other's posts and mine for today it is at:
      https://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2017/01/poetpourrie-friday.html

      Delete
  16. Appreciations for your poetry prompt. And for enumerating these lines.
    Appreciations to Linda for her creative way with the result.
    So much cooperation.

    Your double Haiku is golden.
    I love your created word, "suntouch", especially sitting here in the sun as I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I entered the wrong link to this. To read other's posts and mine for today it is at:
      https://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2017/01/poetpourrie-friday.html

      Delete
    2. Jan, I tried to get to your site, clicked on your link at Carol's, but I got to this message instead:

      "Your connection is not secure

      The owner of www.bookseedstudio.wordpress.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

      Don't know what that is about, but maybe you should check it out. I think I got there before on my iPad.

      Delete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...