Friday, April 12, 2013

K is for Karen Elizabeth

It's Letter K Day for the A to Z Challenge (see tab above to go to more great A to Z posts), and it is Poetry Friday.  Thank you, Diane, at Random Noodling for hosting today.

"Karen Elizabeth"
The sea is my road;
The spray is my air;
The helm is my soul;
Coils of rope my hair.

My strength's in my hull;
My keel keeps me true;
From bow to the stern,
 My heart is my crew.


"K & E II"
Real sisters in life, companions we two;
The smaller the old, the larger the new.

A father and son will soon get us set;
 Prepare us for launch, when deadlines are met.

Keels in the water, bait in the traps
Sisters will dance again o'er the white caps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Educational Korner

knots - check here for some ways to tie knots

Keel = The central framing part in the bottom of a ship's hull

Lobstering can kill you, literally.  Ropes and moving traps are always a danger.  Fishermen always carry a knife for cutting lines in case a foot gets caught in the ropes and they get carried overboard with traps.  Watch a scary lobstering trip (YouTube), with a good ending.






22 comments:

  1. Really good lines here, in both Donna. I love the personification in the first one! And that video. I've been aboard two sailing ships with students, and a panga in Mexico, but I can't imagine being out in the wind & rain in a lobster boat. Seems dangerous, but can be beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a nice calm day on the water, thank you very much! Smooth sailing is fine with me!

      Delete
  2. This was fun! Except for that video. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that video will make you think twice about the romance of the sea!

      Delete
  3. my husband loves that show!!! awesome poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great show? Scary business sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Great poems, Donna, especially the first one. "From bow to the stern,
    My heart is my crew." So true. Thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bridget. There's a lot of heart put into these boats!

      Delete
  5. Your poems are very enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great poems. Those boats really look like they're waiting in anticipation of some fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they are as excited about getting back on the water as their owners are!

      Delete
  7. Love the poetry, Donna. Especially like the line 'Coils of rope my hair' - very vivid imagery. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved the poem about the Karen Elizabeth. And that video was pretty crazy. My son Alec loves that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a show! I can watch it for a bit, but just can't imagine working in those conditions. I think I'd stay in a little bay!

      Delete
  9. Such lovely poems, Donna...and I just have to say t hat I loved this line: Sisters will dance again o'er the white caps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. They really do seem to dance on the water some days!

      Delete
  10. I love both of these poems. Your poems make me homesick for the Atlantic seaboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty homesick for Maine when we moved to Minnesota years ago. We came back about 25 years ago now and live a couple miles from the ocean.

      Delete
  11. This is such a great project.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...