Saturday, April 22, 2017

SPILAGE #AtoZChallenge

Notes about the AtoZ Challenge:
The A to Z Challenge is to write to the letters of the alphabet in order, one a day each day in April, except on Sundays.
To find more A to Z Challenge blog posts, click on any A to Z Challenge link I've made in this post. Read through the comment links on that page and see what interests you.  Read.  Comment. Spread the love of our alphabet around!
If you are commenting here, please include your post's link so that I can return the visit easily.  I'd like to visit your site, if you don't mind!
If you want to see where I've visited, click on A to Z Challenge in the tab at the top and it will take you to a padlet of links.  If you want to see yours there, visit me.  If you are doing the A to Z Challenge, I'll visit you and link you.



I met the teacher who had this vanity plate.  Come to find out she teaches in my town's school.  She said she got it because in her young classroom when something was spilled, the children always asked for the spillage rag or cloth to clean up their messes.  So I went with that!  Kind of...

Spillage

Carol got some cocoa,
Mom put it in a mug,
But when her elbow hit it
It crashed upon the rug!

“Calamity cloth!” Carol cried.

Tina wanted water
A tumblerful to drink -
Forgot to take the drain plug out
And overflowed the sink!

“Tragedy towel!” Tina trilled. 

In Michael’s search for juice
He opened the fridge the door;
The juice lid hadn’t gone on tight
So juice splashed on the floor!

“Mishap mop!” Michael moaned.

Sammy wanted ice cream
Scrumptious chocolate chip;
It suddenly began to melt
Then slipped out of his grip!

“Spillage sponge!” Sammy spluttered.

With towel, mop, a sponge and cloth
They each cleaned up their places
Until there was no spillage left -
They even had clean faces!

By Donna JT Smith, 4/21/2017

Here are other S plates.  I'd thought about trying to write a poem using all four plates, but then I wondered why I'd do that to myself when I have so much to do already.  Shoot, why did I say that?




I have a problem obviously.  You do not have to read this one. 

So S(p)illy

The white caps
looked like snowfields 
as we set off 
over sea, 
sailing amid
the ocean squid
new villages to see
determined that at last
and first
our vessel'd
surely be
remarkably unsinkable,
so fine and spillage free
and that the sails 
that once were slack
would get their second wind
and even without 
maps to guide
we'd know 
just where 
we'd been'd. 
"That's all for now," 
the sailor said,
and headed off to bed
in hammock swayed
all night he stayed
he never slept
a wink
Through eyelids shut
He kept his watch
so diligent
(and vigilant),
I think.

by Donna JT Smith

Oh, look, I did it - speaking of "I have a problem"...
I used all four - plus some - but I don't have a clue what it says or means - other than "I have a problem". 
I probably should have kept it in a sealed envelope or locked drawer (if I had one), and not put it here.  But this is where I wrote it, so this is where it is.

(Why would I put my name on this?)


12 comments:

  1. Your spillage poem made me smile! And hats off to you for pulling together so many S plates into one poem!

    Trudy @ Reel Focus
    Food in Film: S’mores

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like when I get to talk to the person whose plate I've captured. I thought is was so sweet that a teacher would take a word from her classroom and use it on her plate. The second poem - well, that was just a ramble off the top of my head to see if I could write something that included all the plates. A ramble and a gamble! At least the hand's been played!

      Delete
  2. Donna,

    It's interesting how you find such fun license plates but then to use them in poems? Superior job! Well done, my friend. Keep up the super work!

    ~Curious as a Cathy
    Art Sketching Through the Alphabet “S” (Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they are fun. And that's the point. So, Score!πŸŽ‰
      Got to get on over and check out what's happening with Snow White πŸ‘ΈπŸ» - I know YOU are having fun, too!

      Delete
  3. I spilled a lot as a child so a calamity cloth, tragedy towel, mishap mop, or spillage sponge would all have come in quite handy. Fun poem!WeekendsInMaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm trying to think of more things to use to clean up spillage...

      Delete
  4. You are talented! Your poem and post made me smile. I wish I would have used those names for towels when my peeps were younger - how fun!
    ----------

    Nancy

    Filled to Empty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of things I think of now that I could have done when my kids were small. Can't think of everything...but I have grandchildren now, so they are getting the benefit of things I "could'a/should'a done"!!

      Delete
  5. I love this. You have given me a new journal exercise. Thanks! I am always looking for prompts. Have a great weekend! Hugs.
    Simple Man
    Annie at ~McGuffy's Reader~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have no shortage of vanity plates in Maine - I have lots of prompts any day I want to use one!

      Delete
  6. What fun. It's amazing you've been able to keep this going so far in this challenge. Well done. S is for SEO Strategy as you Build a Better Blog #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! Some of the best poems I've read that are not published in a book. Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...