Saturday, April 12, 2014

Ayuh to Z Challenge - K

My theme: Book Titles A to Z written by Maine authors,
and a poem for that title each day for the month of April.  The poem is not about the book, but is written with the title as inspiration! 

Today I wrote a Kyrielle (notice the K? Klever!).  A Kyrielle has quatrains (4-lined stanzas), each line with 8 syllables.  Each quatrain has a repeating line or phrase which is usually last.  In mine it is first.  But the addition of the last two lines - a couplet - I've turned it into a Kyrielle Sonnet.
"A Kyrielle Sonnet consists of 14 lines (three rhyming quatrain stanzas and a non-rhyming couplet). Just like the traditional Kyrielle poem, the Kyrielle Sonnet also has a repeating line or phrase as a refrain (usually appearing as the last line of each stanza). Each line within the Kyrielle Sonnet consists of only eight syllables. French poetry forms have a tendency to link back to the beginning of the poem, so common practice is to use the first and last line of the first quatrain as the ending couplet. This would also re-enforce the refrain within the poem."
Shadow Poetry

Welcome to K!
K is for:
Kisses and Fishes
by
Liesel Moak Skorpen
Kisses and Fishes

Oh, fisherman, oh, fisherman,
I truly love you, fisherman
There is no man does what you can;
Oh, fisherman, bring me fishes!

Oh, fisherman, oh, fisherman,
I’m waiting for those fish, oh, man,
I need a fish for my fish flan,
So, fisherman fish for fishes!

Oh, fisherman, oh, fisherman,
There's fish there in your fishing can
I’ll pop them in my frying pan
And give my fisherman kisses!

Oh, fisherman, oh, fisherman,
I'll give my fisherman kisses!

©Donna JT Smith, 2014

Children's author Liesel Moak Skorpen was born in Germany and emigrated with her family in 1936 to the U.S. to escape Nazi oppression. She lives in Verona Island, just outside Bucksport, ME.
She attended Yale with the intention of becoming a philosophy professor, but married and became the mother of six.

Kisses and Fishes is about a little girl who wishes to live without her parents rules.  When her parents are suddenly swallowed up by the sea, she finds she's not as happy being alone as she thought she would.
This book is out of print, but still available through private sales on Amazon or Abe books.  I just purchased one. 

Knights in Shining Armor
by Gail Gibbons
Knights in Shining Armor is written for Kindergarten to Grade 3ish.  It explains knighthood in an understandable form for young readers. Gibbons explains the era, feudal system, castle configuration, weapons, armor, chivalry, tournaments, and the process for becoming a knight. Good for children beginning to do research.
Gail Gibbons is a prolific writer/illustrator of children's non-fiction books. She was born in Oak Park, Illinois. She and her husband divide their time between Corinth, Vermont, and Matinicus Island, Maine.  Many of her titles have been designated "Outstanding Science Trade Books" by the National Science Teachers Asssociation. She has received the Washington Post Children's Book Guild Award for overall contribution to children's nonfiction and the 2009 Katahdin Award presented by the Maine Library Association.

Brought to you by the letter K!

Kissable!

Where are you L?

2 comments:

  1. Kisses and Fishes is an interesting book !...I had read it and loved the book ....nice poem Donna :)!
    have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to hear aloud, Donna. Yes, I usually read poems aloud. I like hearing the rhythm! Love the kisses given to that fisherman for his fishes!

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...