Saturday, April 5, 2014

Ayuh to Z Challenge - E

TODAY IS MY 500TH POST ON MAINELY WRITE!
(The crowd goes wild, as I hand out blueberry pancakes and maple syrup - and some plates and forks - oh, and a napkin.  Coffee or tea, anyone?)
HEY!  GOOD NEWS! I SPIED ONE OSPREY YESTERDAY! THEY ARE RETURNING FROM THEIR WINTER VACATIONS DOWN SOUTH!  THE OSPREY CAMS SHOULD BE UP AND RUNNING ANY DAY NOW! 
(and yes, I was yelling - all of it)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book Titles A to Z written by Maine authors,
and my poem using the title of the book each day for the month of April, except Sundays - BUT I will have a poem and book title on this Sunday, as I am doing a poem a day in April, and I have some extra book titles....So two different F's will be on Sunday and Monday!

Welcome to the Letter E:

E is for:

Eliza and the Elves
by Rachel Field

Rachel Field was born in New York City, grew up in western Mass., and spent time as an adult on Sutton's Island, one of the Cranberry Isles off of Mount Desert.  In 1929 she won the Newbery Medal for Hitty: Her First Hundred Years.  She was the first woman recipient of the award.  In 1938, she was featured in Down East Today.

Her book, Eliza and the Elves, is a collection of fairy and elfin poetry that was published in 1926.
Eliza and the Elves on Goodreads

E is also for:
Eleanor
by Barbara Cooney
I tried to want to write a poem for "Eleanor", about Eleanor Roosevelt's life, by Barbara Cooney, but it just wouldn't develop.  I love Barbara Cooney's books.  Her illustrations are gorgeous.  I went to a small lecture and book signing by Barbara once.  She certainly does look like Miss Rumphius!
Perhaps soon I will incorporate one or two of her books.  My problem is that I know her stories so well, that when I think of her titles, all I can think of is the story!
Eleanor on Scholastic
Eleanor on Amazon

Eliza and the Elves

Eliza thought she saw two elves
But wasn’t really sure;
Perhaps they were some leprechauns
But no one could concur.
They could have been some tooth fairies
Peeking under pillows
Or maybe just the woodland ones
Looking for some willows
She thought it could have-might have been
Two wandering garden gnomes
For sometimes they will go about
Seeking their new homes.
Could it have been two little imps
About to play a tricksie?
Perhaps it was a pair of those
That some would call a pixie.
She thought that they had come and gone
And never did a thing
But now Eliza knows those elves
Have actually left us spring!

©Donna JT Smith, 2014

Brought to you by the letter E!
Eloquent!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on 500!
    I haven't heard of either of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five hundred posts is an amazing accomplishment. I haven't read them all but every one that I have read is fabulous. You definitely have a gift with words. I am enjoying your posts this month. I have learned about some books new to me, and I have smiled in remembrance of some familiar ones. Your poetry is a sunny spot in my day. Thank you for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congratulations on hitting 500 posts! You made me determined to write more. I loved all the 'E's you have put here. Would love to read both the books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five hundred! Wow-congratulations! And I love both the authors you're highlighting today. Also wonderful you actually saw Barbara Cooney. Her books are favorites still, aren't they? I continue to know that your endings are always so good, Donna. And this one too. Lovely about the elves/fairies, pixies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 500 posts, that's AMAZING! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...