Friday, April 4, 2014

Ayuh to Z Challenge - D

It's Friday, Day 4 of the A-to-Z Challenge AND it's Poetry Friday, hosted over at Amy Ludwig VanDerwater's Poetry Farm - and I just happen to have a farm poem today to share.
It's also the 4th day of the Progressive Poem.  Check Anastasia's site, Poet! Poet! sometime today, and see what she's added to the first three lines.
************************
My Theme: Book Titles A to Z written by Maine authors,
and my poem using the title of the book each day for the month of April.

Welcome to the letter D:
D is for 
Dancing Feet
by Charlotte Agell
 
Dancing Feet by Maine author and illustrator, Charlotte Agell, is a picture book, written in rhyme that celebrates the human body parts.
Years ago, Charlotte did a writing workshop and read her books in my class and others in our school. She has a nice and easy way with children and drawing.  She has lived in Maine since 1977.  She published "Dancing Feet" in 1994.

Sarah Laurence blog and Charlotte's book for older students, Shift
The Maine Magazine 

Dancing Feet

A little bit of thumping
with soft and fuzzy toes;
A little bitty wiggle
of a twitchy nose.

It’s the hippy-hoppy habit
of a bopping bouncy rabbit.

A lot of heavy stomping of
hooves in shoes of metal;
A deep nod and a shake
of a muzzle in a bridle.

That’s the pretty clip-clop prancing
of a horse's fancy dancing.

A twirly, whirly motion
of a cute and curly tail;
While rolling in the mud
behind a wooden rail.

That’s just a jiggly jolly jig
for a hog wild party pig.

A kind of scritchy scratching
scaly toes soft shoe their food;
Then a ruffling up of feathers
skirt a'billow on her brood.

That’s the hoedown bruhaha
of a chicken cha-cha-cha.

So when you’re on the farm
Watch for the subtle sway
Listen for the tune
And stay out of the way -

Of the moo-sically moo-ving
farm animals’ that are grooving.

©Donna JT Smith, 2014
 
Down East in the Ocean: A Maine Counting Book
by Peter and Connie Roop



Oh, dear!  Peter and Connie Roop do not live in Maine.  My mistake.  I found it out after I'd written the poem below (and because of that, I had to quickly find a replacement book and write a quick poem).  I guess I assumed because they have a few books with Maine as the setting.  So I'm keeping it here, since I already wrote the poem, and I liked the poem. But I repeat, they are not Mane authors.  They have visited Maine though.  I wonder if they'd consider moving...

This is a counting book combining rhyme with a fun exploration of Maine sea life.


Down East in the Ocean

Down East in the ocean
Is not the same
As down the mountain
Or down the lane.

Down east means North,
The way the wind’s blowing
But east is still east.
So where are you going?

If you are in Boston
The wind at your back
You’re setting sail
For Machias or Lubec.

If you are in Maine and
The coast you’re on
You are in Down East
So sail up to Boston.

The ups and the downs
Between Boston and Maine
Are easy to follow if you
Just take the train.
©Donna JT Smith, 2014

This post was brought to you by the Letter D!
Delightful!
See you tomorrow E!

10 comments:

  1. I would guess that your local paper would love this second poem, Donna. Very fun, although I don't know all those places. I love the dancing poem too, a funny look at the animals. And today was your progressive poem day, what a day for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am running into more and more books I'd like to feature...I am going to do Sunday pre-posts to fill in the rest of April. Already have this Sunday covered.
      Anastasia has added to my line already today, so that is on its way, running to you!

      Delete
  2. Well I don't write books but I would move to Maine!! I'll be bookmarking your blog. Love your selection for Letter D :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you do move to Maine and write a book, make sure the title starts with a Q, X or Z!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa. I have to write E tonight! I have others ready, but not E. How could it have come to E so fast?

      Delete
  4. Love your poems! You are so gifted.
    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you like them! I love doing them.

      Delete
  5. Fun! I'm really enjoying your book selections and poems :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying them! I'm having fun. Hey, what's your blog? I was thinking I'd been there, but can't remember which it is.

      Delete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...