Thursday, April 10, 2014

Ayuh to Z Challenge - I

My theme: Book Titles A to Z written by Maine authors,
and a poem for that title each day for the month of April. 
The poem is not about the book, but is written with the title as inspiration! 

Welcome to I !
I is for
If I Never Forever Endeavor
by Holly Meade
~=:'i':=~
If I Never Forever Endeavor

One day I made a noise;
Momma grinned at my new talk.
And when I tried and took a step,
She smiled at my new walk.
The day I ran she proudly beamed
So I did more and more!
Before she knew what happened
I was headed for the door.
I tried and tried with momma’s help
To conquer my new bike,
and pretty soon I'd caught on -
so much faster than my trike!
I learned to swim,
I learned to dance,
I learned that I could do
almost any new thing
I endeavored to.
Exciting things are out there;
good things to be done!
If you forever try to
most likely you'll have fun!
If I had never spoken,
never walked on through the door,
never tried to play a sport,
never tried to leap and roar,
never dared to make a friend,
never tried to row a boat,
never made a birthday cake,
nor ever sang a note,
how would I ever know
 that there is even more?
How would I know the fun
life has for me in store?
My book would be just cover;
no pages in between.
If I never bravely endeavor
I won’t get to the next scene.
So start to write your story;
try things that you should do,
and soon you will be writing
Chapter number 2.

©Donna JT Smith, 2014
Holly Meade, Maine artist, children's book author and illustrator, lives in Sedgewick. She has twice been published in Raising Readers stories for Maine children. She won the 1996 Caldecott Award.  She died near her home in Sedgwick, Maine, on June 28, 2013.

If I Never Forever Endeavor is about trying new things, being afraid to launch out and try new things - like flying for this baby bird.  He pictures the bad things that could happen, but in the end...


Brought to you by the letter I!

Inspirational!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post Donna ! love the lines Exciting things are out there;
    good things to be done!
    If you forever try to
    most likely you'll have fun! .....lovely poem ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is my favorite so far, Donna. You nailed the rhyme and the content. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. You have to get out there and live. While in NYC, one of the thoughts I frequently had was: "These people don't know any different. They don't know what it's really like to live in America." --Because most of them were too poor to move out of the city. But I wanted that for them. I wanted them to see what life elsewhere was like.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...