Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Ayuh to Z Challenge - B

Tomorrow's my day for adding a line to April's Progressive Poem for National Poetry month 2014!  I'm the third line writer of this awesome poem.  I wonder where it will take us.  Check on the sidebar to keep tabs on the poem and come back here tomorrow to see what I've added!

 Now back to the A-to-Z Challenge 2014!

My theme: Book Titles A to Z written by Maine authors,
and a poem for that title each day for the month of April.

B is for -

Blueberries for Sal 
by Robert McCloskey

Although born in Ohio, McCloskey later lived in Maine and died here on Deer Isle, June 30, 2003, at the age of 88.  He is also known for writing and illustrating "Make Way for Ducklings". This book, "Blueberries for Sal" was a runner-up for a Caldecott award in 1949. MCloskey's daughter, Sally, and his wife were the subjects for the daughter and mother in this book.
In Blueberries for Sal, mother and daughter get mixed up with a bear mother and her cub as they all go searching for and picking blueberries in Maine.
Want to watch and listen to the book?
Click here on Blueberries for Sal Book.

Everyone knows that wild Maine blueberries are the best thing in the world.  If I were you, I'd look for some in the frozen foods section of your grocery store.  Look for Wyman's.  I'm sorry if you can't get them where you are.  They are wonderful naturally sweet little wild blueberries from Maine.
I found some in a small local Pennsylvania grocery store for my grandson.  Oh, does he know and love his blueberries!

Here he is eating a "cancake".  Well, I guess you could say he's "picking blueberries"!

More information about the book or McCloskey:
McCloskey information on Wikipedia
McCloskey information on About.com Children's Books
A very interesting article about McCloskey and his unknown attic stored artwork
Robert McCloskey: A Private Life in Words and Pictures 
Blueberries for Sal, by R. McCloskey at Amazon


This is not a commercial site.  I am not selling books.  I don't get anything if you decide to buy a book.  That's your business -
Don't even tell me if you did. 
I don't want to know. 
Just tell me if you liked the poem -
which you will find below.
Blueberries for Sal

Oh, Sal,
What a gal!
She likes berries blue;
She likes them in pies
and in jellies, too.

She went out to pick some,
Blueberries on her mind,
But then she got home
No berries to find.

Oh, Sal!
What a gal!
She likes the blue sweet;
She likes them in cake
Or a picked-by-hand treat.

She went to the store,
A pint’s what she got,
But when she got home
She found she had naught!

Oh, Sal!
What a gal!
That berry devours,
She'll eat them in jams,
She'll eat them for hours.

She wanted to put some
In her breakfast muffin,
Before she could do that
Her mouth she was stuffin'!

Oh, Sal,
What a gal!
She’ll always have none;
For she eats them all up
Before she is done.

I don't know just why
She can't stop her feast
And save some of them
For one pie at least.

Oh Sal,
What a gal!
You'll always be blue
from eating blueberries
Till none's left for you.

©Donna JT Smith, 2014

Today's post was brought to you by the letter B.
Beautiful!

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's been around a long time! Do you remember Captain Kangaroo reading "Make Way for Ducklings?" Maybe you aren't that old, come to think of it! I don't remember it either, come to think of it. Who's Captain Kangaroo anyway?

      Delete
  2. You really have a knack for rhyming. It never sounds forced. Do you write picture books?
    I enjoyed your article. I love Make Way for Ducklings but never heard of Blueberries for Sal. You can bet I'll read it now. :-)
    Best,
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not published yet. I have one book I am having illustrated by a friend, and when it is done I will self-publish it. I'm happy you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. I clicked the 'follow this blog' icon here but for some weird reason, it doesn't show my picture the way it does in the comments. It just shows that generic blue face, which is probably a better view for me anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why it does that. I've had it happen to me, too on various sites. It must have something to do with how you are logged in at the time.

      Delete
  4. Terrific this time, & funny, Donna. I still read this book to the grandchildren. McCloskey's books are 'delicious' too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illustrations are so detailed yet simple. Love his books!

      Delete
  5. LOVE this story. Used to be my favorite as a kid. My copy is in my mom's 2nd grade classroom now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught first grade for many years and all my children's books used to end up in my classroom, too!

      Delete
  6. Love your poem, and wild Maine blueberries. Great idea for the A-Z challenge. Adding your blog to to my NPM Kidlitosphere Roundup. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for doing that, Jama! Hard to keep up with all the good stuff happening!

      Delete
  7. Great theme idea. Love the original book and the poem was very sweet too. Delightful is definitely the right word for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tonia! It's a good book. The illustrations are all in blue, white and that orangish color throughout the book. Kind of a blueberry look!

      Delete
  8. I did love this book as a child, one of the favorites that got read over and over at bedtime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I 'discovered' this book last year (http://stacybuckeye.wordpress.com/2013/06/23/weekends-with-gage-hes-back/). My son loves bluberries, maybe because of Sal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna, I can't eat blueberries myself, but my granddaughter loves them. She was so excited to discover a blueberry bush in their back yard when they moved to Portland, Oregon. She is in heaven during the season.
    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blueberries for Sal is one of my favorite children's picture books!

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...