Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ayuh to Z Challenge - Y

My theme: Book Titles A to Z written by Maine authors,
and a poem for that title each day for the month of April.
The poem is not about the book, but is written with the title as inspiration! 

Welcome to Y!

Y is for

Yellow Dog
by Gary Lawless
Yellow Dog

floppy eared puppies
popping hopping
stopping on their chins
stepping on and over
no telling which one wins
like warm buttered popcorn
they spill
down the hill
until they reach the
bottom where
I am.
They wrestle and wriggle
around me
I think no puppy sees
that I am waiting quietly
on my knees
until one little puppy
comes to me
joyfully
and she begins to pounce
and bounce
and say to me that I should
pick her
for she’s picked me -
and that is how yellow dog
and I came to be
family.
©Donna JT Smith, 2014


"Yellow Dog" seems to be a "brochure*", as it is listed as such for sale privately.  So I don't know if it qualifies as a book or not.  Ok.  All the votes are in.  It qualifies.  I have not read it, and I cannot find a review or synopsis of it anywhere, though.

*I received an email from Gary explaining that "Yellow Dog" was a chapbook of poems written quite a while ago.  "Yellow Dog" was a poem about the oldest dog in their sled team, who had passed away.  Thanks, Gary!

Gary Lawless is a poet, book editor, and publisher, born in Belfast, Maine. He is co-owner of the Gulf of Maine Bookstore in downtown Brunswick.
Gary Lawless website
"Yellow Dog" on Amazon
Yes, this post was brought to you by the letter Y!

Yippee!
Next is Z!
Z ending letter...

4 comments:

  1. I could picture the puppies in your poem. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow dog - I felt like shedding a tear. I have a yellow dog and she's old, and she chose me, too.
    Donna - one more day to go - we're going to make it.
    Phew! It feels like it's been forever. Big CELEBRATIONS tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a sweet poem, Donna. No yellow dogs in my life, but a wonderful grand-dog of my son and family's. Glad you discovered more about that little book!

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...