Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ayuh to Z Challenge - W

My theme: Book Titles A to Z written by Maine authors,
and a poem for that title each day for the month of April.
The poem is not about the book, but is written with the title as inspiration!

Welcome to W!


 W is for 
The Weather Sky
by Bruce McMillan
 The Weather Sky

I look above
and my eyes are greeted with blue
clouds skim the sky
clouds with stories to tell
like where they have been
how cold they are
how old they are
how high and
how fast they are moving
where they are going
if a storm is coming
whether there will be thunder and lightning
whether the weather will be snow
or will it blow in rain
or rattle down sleet
will the day be humid, hazy and lazy
or will it be a day to dry the clothes
the weather sky
will tell you
look it in the eye
watch and learn
it has a lot to say
if you will use discerning eyes
if you will listen to what you see
the sky will tell you
what the
weather
will be
but not whether
you will like it
for the weather sky
just is
and does not
discern you

©Donna JT Smith


Bruce McMillan lives in Shapleigh, Maine.  Years ago I went to a workshop given by him.
Bruce McMillan information at Maine Writers' List
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Wicked Big Toddlah
by Kevin Hawkes
Kevin Hawkes is a writer and illustrator from Maine.  He illustrated The Pig Parade, which I wrote a poem for the letter P, and has written some Wicked Big Toddlah books.
"The Wicked Big Toddlah" tells, and shows, how difficult it can be to raise a toddler - especially a wicked big one.  It's a really cute story about toddler life in a giant size!
Book link on Amazon
Kevin Hawkes' Website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whistling with Olives: 54+ Things to do at Dinner Besides Eating by Robin Hanson
Robin Hanson lives on her sheep farm West Bath, Maine.  She also writes books about knitting.

 Brought to you by the letter W!

- or "wubble you", as I used to call it with my first graders, so they'd remember it's sound was /w/ and not /d/.  It's the only letter that goes by a name that says what it looks like instead of giving a clue to its sound.  Okay, and sometimes I called it a "double vĂ©" because it is a double v, not a double u.

But now for our X-it............stage right.

11 comments:

  1. Love this poem. I'm wishing my weather sky will start raining, but the clouds have gone again. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloudy here today. The weatherman said rain, but my weather sky is defying him.

      Delete
  2. Great theme! Good to see you again - thanks for stopping by Life is Good today. I've never been to Maine, but it's on my bucket list. I imagine the water is quite cold, but I'm all for getting numb and then going in, the Swedish way.
    "If you listen to what you see" is a great line!
    Well done so far on the Challenge. You joining us for Reflections on 5/5? That's when the linky opens, but you can write it any time, THEN link up. On 5/6 there will be the Road Trip linky. Please join us as we meander at our own pace through the rest of the list.
    Tina @ Life is Good
    A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to be there to reflect. My daughter is about to have a baby in the next couple of days, so life will be surrounding me, blocking my way to the computer... but maybe today I can get to it and schedule it to arrive!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful poem... I love clouds... We had rain yesterday but now all the clouds are being blown on to the next city... Thanks for stopping by my blog... Visiting via the A to Z challenge... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clouds are so much fun to watch! They are poems waiting to happen.

      Delete
  4. I love how descriptive this was. I could picture everything type of weather change while reading your poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting theme. It seems like that one might have been a hard one. Beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the sky will tell you what the weather will be, not whether you will like it. So true. It's very warm here today, and we have a rain/snow mix in the forecast for tomorrow. Oh boy! I like the play on words you did in the poem, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was enjoying a puffy cloud, blue sky day today so this poem flows with the mood it gave me.
    I went to your other blog but the link on there doesnt link. I'd hate for people to miss your work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be more careful to not use that log-in when I'm visiting! I'll try getting on that site by Monday to redirect with a corrected links. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...