Thursday, April 3, 2014

Ayuh to Z Challenge - C

First up: Progressive Poem
(skip down if you are here for AtoZ
 and don't care about this wonderful piece of work being created)

Today is my day for adding a line to April's Progressive Poem for National Poetry month 2014!  I'm the third line writer of this awesome poem.  I wonder where it will take us.  Check on the sidebar to keep tabs on the poem and see what's been added!
I had some serious lines I considered.  Very serious.  But then I decided to get a bit more lighthearted and combine the idea of the peacock's attempt at airing feelings with Charles' idea of sitting out there talking to the skies.  Tried using some alliteration with the "e" and "m".  Plus, I thought if so inclined "moon" was a pretty good word for not only a rhyming pattern, but celestial objects if that were the way someone went.  However, I have no clue what will happen in the next days.  But I know it will be good!  So next stop, 4th line on April 4th is by Anastasia Suen at Poet! Poet!

 (Charles)  Sitting on a rock, airing out my feelings to the universe
(Joy)  Acting like a peacock, only making matters that much worse;
(Me)  Should I trumpet like an elephant emoting to the moon? 
(Remove ? if needed, Anastasia!)

 Now Back to our Regularly Scheduled Letter for A-to-Z 2014!
My theme: Book Titles A to Z written by Maine authors,
and my original poem using the title of the book each day for the month of April.

Today, I couldn't help it.  Had to do two because I remembered E.B. White's "Charlotte's Web" after I doubled up on Dahlov Ipcar and her book The Cat at Night.  I'd already written the cat poem, so you are stuck with two poems today.

Welcome to the Letter C:

C is for:
Charlotte's Web
by E.B. White

E.B. White once said,
"I haven't told why I wrote the book, but I haven't told you why I sneeze, either.
A book is a sneeze."

White lived on a farm in Maine. As for how he came up with Charlotte's Web, he said, “I had been watching a big grey spider at her work and was impressed by how clever she was at weaving. Gradually I worked the spider into the story...”



Charlotte’s Web

Charlotte found a little ball;
She played with it all day.
As it unraveled down the hall,
It's yarn showed her the way.

She tossed the ball; it left a path
As it bopped on some chairs,
It rolled around inside the bath
Then toppled down the stairs.

It bounced under the tv stand,
It coiled around a lamp -
Then lamp to vase to lamp it spanned
Leap-frogging like a champ!

Round the handle of the broom
And then into the trash;
Under the rug, and through the room
It made a crazy dash!

It looped around the puppy’s bowl,
Leaped on the kitchen table,
Threaded through the door’s keyhole
As far as it was able.

Charlotte's ball was finally done
It wove and weft no more
It couldn't roll, it couldn't run
It ended in the door.

The weave could be much stronger,
More things could have been spun
If the ball of yarn were longer;
But Charlotte’s web was done!

That’s as far as it could flee,
That frayed end of her rope -
A glance behind and she could see
A rewind held no hope.

©Donna JT Smith, 2014

And the second book, which I actually did first is one by Dahlov Ipcar again.  I didn't think I was going to find
C is for:
 The Cat at Night
by Dahlov Ipcar

Information about Dahlov Ipcar and her works can be found on this page.  There you can see more of her beautiful artwork.  Then there are more links to Dahlov's work back on my A page.
She has some beautiful wool pillows offered through this site.  I'm tempted to get one, but I can't decide which one!

In this book the farmer's cat is out at night and the illustrations compare what the human sees at night - black silhouettes against a gray blue - to what the cat is seeing - bright colors against a black background.  Gorgeous!

An acrostic backwards and forwards with the word FELINES...kind of like the cat...back and forth, up and down, first outside at night then inside in the day.

Cat at Night

Sleek and
Elegant
Night prowler
Innocently
Lingering by the mouse
Exit to tap the
First mouse unawares -
Fastidious cleaner
Elaborate purrer
Lovingly sitting
In your lap
Nothing amiss
Except that
Silent "good-night mouse" kiss.

©Donna JT Smith, 2014


This post was brought to you by the Letter C! 
Charming!

41 comments:

  1. What I always appreciated about E. B. White was he never took himself seriously. I loved his novels, but I was totally engaged by his essays. Simple. Honest. Sincere. I always wanted to write like he did. From the heart. I try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read his essays - none that I remember anyway! I'll have to go check some out. Thanks for adding to my "must do soon before I forget it" list!

      Delete
  2. I never read the spider book, but I loved the movie when I was a kid and always intended to get around to it. Maybe I still will some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember if the book differed some from the movie - it probably did. Yes, you should read it. I should read it again. It's been ages.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love your addition to the progressive poem. I can see that elephant trumpeting and I think you've sent the poem in a fantastic direction. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! Couldn't have done it without a "peacock" in the "universe"! This is going to be such fun to watch and read as it progresses!

      Delete
  4. Wow, Donna, what a full-to-bursting post! I am LOVING the addition of an elephant (and the moon!) to the progressive poem. Thank you!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irene! That was fun, and I was delighted to get in on it!

      Delete
  5. And now, that elephant will take us to interesting places. Great line & image. I love the web poem, but thanks for introducing another book by Dahlov Ipcar-it looks wonderful, & the poem's final line "Silent "good-night mouse" kiss." Terrific, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I got to participate in the Progressive Poem this year! I am excited to see how it will go.
      I really think I am going to get one of Dahlov's cat pillows. They are gorgeous. Dahlov is 96 and still out and about. Amazing lady!

      Delete
  6. Terrific addition to the progressive poem--love the self-deprecating, humorous tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Buffy! I can hardly wait to see what comes next!

      Delete
  7. Ditto what Buffy said - this character is really shaping up, and I'm glad you left it open to rhyme. I would LOVE to see the rhyme continue this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be fun to see rhyme and the character development.

      Delete
  8. Hi, Donna! Thanks for a trumpeting line - love the rhythm, and this poem is surely waking us all up already!
    (And one can ever go wrong with E.B. White - & this nocturnal kitty book looks classy and irresistible. Thanks for sharing.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that line of trumpeting - which links to dear old E.B.White, who had such a magical way of telling important stories through the likes of Charlotte and Wilbur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe it was subconsciously EB White (The Trumpet of the Swan) and Ipcar (moon and animal images) speaking to me? Because, really, that was a last minute, sudden line that came - so different from what I had been toying with.

      Delete
  10. Nice, Donna! I love the addition of the elephant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Elephants always add a bit of fun to any situation!

      Delete
  11. i will be the first to admit that most poems i know contain the word"nantucket" but i really like the charlotte's web poem..that movie/back always made me cry as a kid, so much so i refuse to watch it now and im in my 40's...keep up the good work and the a-zing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Nantucket"! Too funny! It's time you take poetry to a new place! Ha!
      When I taught first grade we'd watch a movie after reading the book, but "Charlotte's Web" was one I couldn't even read to them without tearing up. Hate that!

      Delete
  12. i love the progressive poem idea! I have to say I also love Charlotte's Web... it was the first book I read completely on my own ( you know a big kid book)! At first (before I read your follow up on it) I read the feline poem as senile feline...hahahha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! "senile feline"! Too funny! Another poem for another day!

      Delete
  13. Wow. Impressive poems. I love the Charlotte's web one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to have to check out The Cat at Night for my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it! She has a number of great books.

      Delete
  15. You've put in a lot of work for the letter C. I look forward to the rest of the alphabet.
    Mark Clough http://olivegroveview.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a few poems to write these next few days! I almost have all my books in order...

      Delete
  16. What a delight to come for the progressive poem and land in the world of C! Thank you! I, too, am crazy about this cool elephant and your lighthearted choice. Happy D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I'm excited to see where the poem leads us!

      Delete
  17. Elephant emoting? The crazy directions these progressive poems take. You never know where it will go next? E.B. White and Charlotte's Web are a favorite of mine. When I taught third grade, I read it aloud every year. Fern, Wilbur, and Charlotte became like class buddies to us all.

    Your alphabet project is amazing, such dedication. I am posting a different form by ABCs each day. It is nice to have a structure to follow for poetry month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did different poetry styles by ABCs in 2012. It was fun trying them out, What website are you using to post? I couldn't find you.

      Delete
  18. Charming Indeed! This was wonderful to find after my day! Thanks! Conlee www.conleericketts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! I hope you have a D-lightful day tomorrow!

      Delete
  19. Donna, your poems always make me smile. Thank you.
    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do adore Charlotte's Web. Had never heard of Cat at Night.

    Lovely poem. You are an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish Charlotte's Web didn't make me cry!
      Dahlov Ipcar has designed a pillow with a cat on it that I really want now! A bit pricey, but it is a work of art!

      Delete
  21. Hi, I love felines of all shape and sizes; so the acrostic poem rocked for me. thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...