Saturday, March 28, 2015

What Will You Have?


https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/sol15-day28/


Each Wednesday, Poetry Jam has a different prompt to write a poem about.  This week it is to write about coffee or tea...
And for Two Writing Teachers SOLC, this is also a slice of life, a memory brought back to me through the prompt of coffee.
Here's to coffee first!  There will be a slice of Tea tomorrow.

What Will You have?

bold
robust
mellow
full-bodied
(wine?)
breakfast blend
ah-ha, coffee!
there is no ‘breakfast blend’ of wine
except from my childhood -
our breakfast blend of whine:
four kids perched on chairs 
parents in a hurry

      “I don’t like hard-boiled eggs.”
“Eat your eggs.”
       “I don’t want raisins in my toast.”
“Raisins are good for you. Eat them.”
        “Is there grapefruit juice in my orange juice?”
“No! (yes, there was!)  Drink it.”
        “Can we have pancakes?”
“No. Maybe on Sunday. Eat your breakfast.”

four kids un-perched and
flew out the door to catch the school bus
taking our blended breakfast whine with us
parents, unwhined, fried up eggs and bacon
and percolated their coffee
breakfast blend
- no whine -
full-bodied
mellow
robust
bold

©Donna JT Smith, 2015


17 comments:

  1. I love the tension created with the quick paced conversation in the middle of the poem. I feel like I'm right there in the middle of it drinking breakfast blend smiling as I watch it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the wine-to-whine-to-unwhined play on words, and how you sandwiched the dialogue in the middle. Fun read on a Saturday morning; thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how your poem builds, I feel the "busyness" of a household of four in the "climax" of conversation in the middle of your poem. The beginning kind of took me by surprise when it turned out to be about something different than I expected but then you circled back around to your beginning and it was a pleasant ending as well. wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem! The play on words kept the interest high and I love how you matched the beginning and end. Looking forward to reading about tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the poem. We also had plenty of whine during breakfasts at our house as well (3 boys and a girl). Coffee - the fuel that gets the day going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun to 'hear' a family conversation, & the wine to whine, Donna. With four kids, there must have been a lot of controversy over who liked what, & trying to get it somewhat healthy for the busy beginning of the day. I can just see the parents taking another sip of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents had the four of us by the time they were 27. They did not get to enjoy much time alone. I'm sure they were delighted when we were ALL finally in school! And my dad really did put grapefruit juice in our orange juice. Oh, yuck! But we drank it anyway. It was best that you did!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I really like the idea of a 'breakfast blend - no whine.' I smile when I read all of the complaints about the available breakfast foods.....(sounds like my grandchildren some days). You have created a realistic, fun poem. A great 'breakfast blend.'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very realistic morning scene! I was raised in a household with four children so I can relate. The breakfast items on the table were different but the complaints were similar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm, my children are both grownups now however i remember mornings like that; nice write; thanks for stopping over to read mine

    much love...

    ReplyDelete

  10. Donna, i took part in this chllenge and
    I am inviting you to write a poem on love in Ten Lines if you wish to participate follow link below
    http://myblog-verses.blogspot.com/2015/03/36.html

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it! It's here:
      http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2015/03/love-in-ten-lines.html

      Delete
  11. This is a wonderful poem. I liked how it had the diamond shape & started and ended with the coffee. It was a nice look into the past.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the format, the play on words and the creativity. You make me wish that I could write poetry. I took a stab at it today in my slice of life and failed miserably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your poem! Very creative and loved the promise of violence at the end!

      Delete
  13. aw...such a dramatic poem...thoroughly enjoyed the conversations :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This works really well, you can connect and the images are vivid. Loved the conversation.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...