Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Smooch

https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/sol15-day11/ 

This is Day 11 of the Slice of Life 31 Day Challenge at Two Writing Teachers! I'm slicing on some of the past, present and future for "smooch", and I've written a diamante for smooch for Heidi Mordhorst's March challenge at My Juicy Little Universe
And last but not least, the poems are being posted on EdDeCaria's ThinkKidThink Tournament of poetry: March Madness Poetry Tournament 2015.  Voting is open today!

Smooch

Mama’s kiss
Soft, tender,
Healing, soothing, loving
Good-morning, all better, good-bye, I love you, good-night
Teasing, chuckling, tickling
Loud, whiskery
Grandpa’s smooch!


I wish I remembered better my grandfather's smooch!  I am not sure I ever did actually get a kiss from him.  I do not remember a hug.  I do not remember the touch of his hand, though I do remember his fisherman hands.   

For that matter, I do not remember a kiss or hug from my grandmother.  I didn't realize it until I was an adult, and they were long gone, that they had not been very demonstrative people. 

They didn't babysit for us, though a few times we stayed overnight at their house on the ocean after a day of visiting.  Our parents would leave us there, and they had the night off (4 kids by the time they were 27 - they needed time off).  But when we were visiting, there were no bedtime stories.  There were trips on the boat, and lessons in lobstering and fishing from my grandfather.  Then there were lessons on sewing and cooking from my grandmother.  But there were no toys or books in a corner for when we, the grandkids, would be there.  It sounds strange, but I mostly played with rocks and other found treasures from the ocean.

We were well loved though.  We could feel that.  We just didn't get hugs and kisses from them.  This is how I know that it is okay to just be who you are - kids know when someone loves them, even if they don't get that hug.

That being said, I think it's easier to know, so I'm trying to be more of a huggy kind of person. I'm not naturally a hugger.  It takes determination and awareness, and a certain vulnerability or openness, on my part.  I'm hoping that my grandchildren will have a different memory of me than I have of my grandparents (not that the memories were bad!), so I give my grandchildren plenty of hugs, smooches, book readings and lego building when I see them.  I know they will know I love them anyway, but I want them to feel a grandparent's hug.  I want them to get great big smooches - ones that will last a lifetime.

8 comments:

  1. Nothing like grandma's smoochies!! You are right though, people know when you love them and we all have different ways of showing it. I especially liked the line '.......I mostly played with rocks and other found treasures from the ocean." How special for you, what a lovely childhood memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could it be a generational thing? I don't remember affection, either, but I did feel their love in many ways. I have become more aware of giving affection, too. It creates a special bond. Good luck in MMPoetry! Your first was great! I voted for you on merit and not just because I virtually know you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a sweet post and poem! I had three sets of grandparents because of having a stepfather, & all were different, but wonderful in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way the poem looks like lips. Grandparents are special people in grandkids lives, even if they don't show outward affection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Margaret, I think it's a generational thing - my grandparents loved us all, but chose to show that love in quiet and undemonstrative ways. But love is love...and kids know who loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Margaret, I think it's a generational thing - my grandparents loved us all, but chose to show that love in quiet and undemonstrative ways. But love is love...and kids know who loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimberley,
    I am a grandparent gal so you know I loved this post. I was blessed with four amazing grandparents. It was always interesting how different my two sets of grandparents were, but yet it seemed to give me the best of both worlds.

    The images of you going to the boat, lobstering and sewing are very different from my days with my grandparents. I am curious about your times on the boat and learning lobstering.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post reminded me of my grandmother's hugs. She had an ample chest and, from what I remember, you could sink into her hug like she was a pillow. My last hug from her was 30 years ago, and I can still remember how sweet it was.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...