Friday, May 10, 2013

Harbor Spring

In a somewhat cheating fashion, I wrote part of this yesterday and posted it.  Then this morning, I fully intended to just use Thursday's post as my Poetry Friday offering.
But the poem had other ideas.  Instead, I cut and pasted just the poem into a new post.  Then, like I said, the poem had still other ideas because just after I did that, it decided to grow new limbs.  So I've put additional lines to the poem, per its request.  Thank you so much poem for making me late for both posting AND my shower.

Harbor Spring

It’s time...
One by one they slip back
Into the waters again
happy greetings abound
around the harbors
and coves
the docks awaken
to the sound of boots
to the curl of ropes
to the scuff of traps
to the rumble
of men and boats
activity not
seen or felt
for the long, deep
cold days
on shores
...it’s time!
The smells
of bait
of salty air
of fuel
and musty
foul weather gear
all mingle
together
to make
the sights and
sounds fully
real
...it's time!
Hands grip
faces set
seaward
legs brace
remembering rhythms
an arm extended
to the sky
to the shore
a salute
a wave
a see you later
gotta go
and she's off
...it's time!

©Donna JT Smith, 2013

12 comments:

  1. Ah, yes that is how we poets work!

    "gotta go"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are just times that the poem rules you and not vice versa...actually that's most of the time.

      Delete
  2. Glad your poem decided to grow new limbs. Your sounds, smells, and sights paint a wonderful picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me, too. You can try to stop it, but it rarely loses. And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful additions Donna. You ended with such a tension and excitement of this moment. I've been on two ships and I don't know much, but I do recognize the exciting time of setting out which we did often in both trips. I love the repetition of "It's time"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LindaI. It's fun to watch the preparations in spring. I'm going to try to get to one of the races this summer. It's best to see them from a boat, but we don't have access to one, so we'll have to find some shore view in one of the towns.

      Delete
  4. Yep. Rick's been down at the marina several times this week putting the finishing touches on the boat before it goes back in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you wound verbs and senses into this poem, Donna. And the anticipation of being able to set sail again. A poem worth putting off a shower for, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really there! I agree with Tara, worth being late for your shower for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the lines "legs brace/ remembering rhythms." Great use of repetition, too! I'll think of your poem next time I'm watching Wicked Tuna.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...