Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Found Object - Day 17

It is Day 17, and Found Object Poems are here today.  Laura Shovan is celebrating her birthday month with a poem a day in February, and is inviting anyone who would like to join in, to do so once, twice, thirteen or even 29 times (and every number in between)!
You may put your poem in the comments on Laura's site yesterday or today.  If you are reading this now and haven't sent it yet, you might as well do it today and not yesterday.

I'm excited and honored to be hosting today's "find", and will add poems as they are received, whilst sipping my steaming Latte Macchiato at Starbucks today!  I will add my poem at the end of the post, after all the others have been received and posted here!  Have a great time.  Let's see what wondrous words will be found here!

PS - if you post late, I will continue to add poems that Laura forwards to me days later.... though I may not still be at Starbucks.

Here is the image:


What does this make you think of?
Who left it there and what were the circumstances?  Is there a reasonable explanation... or better yet, an unreasonable explanation... a far-fetched explanation?
Does something else capture your attention about the picture?
What do you supposed it sounded like in that spot?  What could it see?  What wishes might it have?
That's all I'm going to ask.  You do so well without me talking.  I'm probably distracting you.
Sorry, I'll stop whistling, too, while you think.  I'll keep adding poems as they appear.
I'm going to get my coffee now.  And some cheese.  Oh, sorry.  I'm still talking.  Okay.  I'm done.


I picked this to go with my poem below.  Matchy-matchy, Tabatha!

*********************************************************************

First up, Diane Mayr introduces us to a pair of twins.  Twins indeed!  The only way you could tell them apart was that one was right-footed and the other left.  Wait.  The other did leave, but not that kind of left, right, Diane?

Love Is a Series of Flip-Flops
 
The day she discovered
Chuck had tied the knot
Zori’s sense of betrayal
(and melodrama) was so
strong she threw herself
into the nearest trash bin.
Her twin, on the other foot,
refused to become refuse.

 by Diane Mayr
; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; )

Next up, Jessica Bigi joins in the parade, with wonderful walks of life!  Can't you just picture stepping in bubble gum?

Invisible Wings

Trace each
Beautiful Step
Pointed toes
Of ballerinas
Skater’s gliding
Across dreams
Dancing feet
Leaping on wings
Baby’s first steps
Our steps following
In our parents steps
Our parent’s steps
Giant under our feet
Snow sparkling steps
Rain puddle splashy steps
Sandy skipping whistling steps
Sticky show stepping
In bubblegum steps
Growing life learning steps
Trace each Beautiful steps

by Jessica Bigi
; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )

Carol is in with a Cinderella tale...hope that prince finds her!

Cinderella of sandcastle dreams
left her pink jeweled sandal
perfectly pointed in the
direction of the ocean
for a young prince
to uncover her
whereabouts-
off beaching
for a bit of
R & R.

by Carol Varsalona

~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~
I have to go to bed, but I'll be right back!
~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~
I love this girl with "toes hanging onto summer in her sandals"!  I wonder where she went...

Found and Lost

Delicate mouth, open to the notes,
any girl on my street
with swirl in her skirt,
toes hanging onto summer in her sandals.
She dismissed the attention
and gathered the notes around her swirling skirt -
dreaming dancer.
Her eyes drifted to mine once
at a pause in the music.
I stooped to tie my shoe
and she was gone.
Outside, one pink sandal left at the trash,
broken strap.
I’m no prince,
but maybe she’ll be back.

Linda Baie ©All Rights Reserved
; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; ) ; )

Catherine said, "This was fun, but I struggled with the final lines."
I say, "Oh, but it looks like you won the battle!"

A Poem of Apology, to my Sole Mate…

Forgive me,
I did not mean to get left behind,
to leave you unprotected,
but the gum on the pavement held me fast.
You curled your pudgy toes around me,
hanging on for dear life.
But your mother, always in a hurry,
didn’t understand your pleas
to WAIT!
To s-l-o-w d-o-w-n
and rescue me!
And so we parted.
You, off to a party in your fancy dress
with just one shoe;
me, left to languish here on the sidewalk,
sparkling in the shadows.

© Catherine Flynn
; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )

Oh, this is soooo stuck in my head now.  If you leave here humming "One Pink Shoe" don't blame me!  Fun little ditty!

One Pink Shoe
(after Three Blind Mice)

One pink shoe
One pink shoe
Left by the bins
Left by the bins
It had so much fun in the waves and the sand
Then danced to the tunes of the three-piece band
Was carried, then dropped from the girl’s left hand
One pink shoe
One pink shoe

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2016
 ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )
Buffy, this one is just so dreadful to think about!  This would have changed the course of history!  I wouldn't want to even think about the dire effect it would have had on the Magic Kingdom. 
Fairy Tale Flip-Flop: A Cautionary Tale

Imagine the fairytale ending:
Cinderella passes on the glass slippers
and wears her glittery pink flip-flops
to the ball—

A flip-flop forgives:
bunions
fallen arches
ingrown toenails
blisters
athlete’s foot
hammertoes
spurs
warts
puffy, lumpy, bulging feet

and permits evil stepsisters to live
happily
ever-after.

©Buffy Silverman
; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )
Waiting for the Right Foot

Fantastic pink plastic,
Enthusiastic elastic;
That’s what you see -
Bedazzled with diamonds -
I'm a sandal set free.
But beyond the pizzazz
You’ll see that there’s more -
My love for that foot
Who played at the shore
Whose hands had picked me
Off a shelf at the store.
I’m patiently waiting
Until I’m back home
With the right foot that needs me,
So I might again roam.

©2016, Donna JT Smith, all rights reserved
~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~
I have to go to bed, but I'll be right back!
~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~

Jone has a mixed feeling, mixed shoes memory for us - "This photo reminded me of my lost tap shoe when I was in second grade.  It ended my lessons because my parents couldn’t afford to replace my tap shoes."  This may have changed the course of your life, Jone!

Flip Flop

once I
lost a tap shoe

that ended
dance lessons:
bandy twisting
clicking toes
drum slapping

today I
found a flip flop

that started
a beach day:

wave playing,
sand castling,
beachcombing
a shoe lost
a shoe found
tap dancing in flip flops

© 2016 Jone Rush MacCulloch all rights reserved
; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )

Laura slides in after a nap, with a new twist on the pink!
Double Bubble
By Laura Shovan

The crown on your wrapper means
you are the king of gum.
Of all the sweet, chewy treats
at the lunch counter, I know
I will only spend my nickel
on you. As soon as I leave
the shop, I untwist your blue
and yellow paper. Inside
you are pink and powdery.
It’s a long walk home, enough
time to chew you into shape.
We stroll together, show off
our favorite trick: pink bubbles
five times bigger than the smile
spreading across my face.

; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )

Getaway

I'm a little garish, yes--
A little tacky
with my rhinestone embellishment
and my approaching-neon
shade of pink
my squashy elevated heel
which no 4-year-old needs
to navigate.
So maybe Dad's reaction
was only a little extreme--
he scooped her, whining,
off the ground,
snatched me and my partner off her feet,
made to throw us in the bin.
There was a little snarling about
"a proper pair of sneakers."
But as he turned,
I did too, dropping
to the ground,
stepping towards freedom,
my garish, glittering future
in pink.

~ HM 2016
all rights reserved
; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )

Margaret says, " So here's my weird take on this photo."
Weird, or ju-u-ust weird enough to be true?

Invisible Girl

What appears
at first glance
to be a missing
flip-flop
is actually evidence
of invisible life forms
who tend to hang out
near trash cans
just in case
someone is looking--
discreet aliens
prone to leaving
small signs
so you just
keep wondering.

--Margaret Simon 
 ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )  ; )

The Sandal Scandal

It’s a robbery,
a sin, a scandal.
I can’t find
my other pink sandal!
I’ve looked in closets,
bathrooms,
under my bed,
I threw such a tantrum,
my face turned red.
Until I noticed our dog
was missing, I ran
outside to see,
Randall with my sandal
staring at me.
Slouched over, teary eyed,
he never looked so sad,
in that instant,
I stopped being mad.
Summer camp’s tomorrow,
I’ll be gone for two weeks,
“It’ll fly by,” I said,
rubbing his cheeks.
 “Hey Bud,” I whispered,
 “I guarantee I’ll miss
you more than
you will miss me.”

by Charles Waters

~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~^~^~~

Any new poems will still be added as they come in here in the comments or over at Laura's place!

Great job, everyone!  Thanks for coming to the party!

18 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that last one, and it goes where my brain was headed--living close to Disney World and having seen too many lost shoes in random places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Crystal! You'll have to pop back later today and see what others have been added. It's shaping up to be a fun day!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for being the caffeinated hostess today. Maybe you should cut back a bit on the coffee?

    It looks to a fun, and very pink, day, poetry-wise. I'll stop by later to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! So, you could detect a caffeinated conversation. You are very astute! I believe I was under the influence of a vente latte at the time!

      Delete
  3. Time to enjoy the pink-shoed poetry party, Donna. It is a refreshing change to see a sandal during this awful cold snap. Jessica and Diane, hats off (or should I say shoe off) to both of you for your take on Donna's photo. Donna your humor is shining through today so I look forward to your last poem to round off the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, we'll all be in the pink today. Love your heart around the pic! Perfect!

      Delete
  4. Hi Donna, hope you're having fun at Starbucks! This is going to be interesting to see what others share. Here's mine:

    Day Seventeen

    Found and Lost

    Delicate mouth, open to the notes,
    any girl on my street
    with swirl in her skirt,
    toes hanging onto summer in her sandals.
    She dismissed the attention
    and gathered the notes around her swirling skirt -
    dreaming dancer.
    Her eyes drifted to mine once
    at a pause in the music.
    I stooped to tie my shoe
    and she was gone.
    Outside, one pink sandal left at the trash,
    broken strap.
    I’m no prince,
    but maybe she’ll be back.
    Linda Baie ©All Rights Reserved

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol's Cinderella inspired my own:

    Fairy Tale Flip-Flop: A Cautionary Tale

    Imagine the fairytale ending:
    Cinderella passes on the glass slippers
    and wears her glittery pink flip-flops
    to the ball—

    A flip-flop forgives:
    bunions
    fallen arches
    ingrown toenails
    blisters
    athlete’s foot
    hammertoes
    spurs
    warts
    puffy, lumpy, bulging feet

    and permits evil stepsisters to live
    happily
    ever-after.

    ©Buffy Silverman


    ReplyDelete
  6. And so the evening ends with a collection of fanciful pink tales. Thanks for the fun everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's mine: https://deowriter.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/found-objects-poetry-challenge-day-17/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful all, and Donna, you capped it off with a little more nostalgia, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so late...
    Getaway

    I'm a little garish, yes--
    A little tacky
    with my rhinestone embellishment
    and my approaching-neon
    shade of pink
    my squashy elevated heel
    which no 4-year-old needs
    to navigate.
    So maybe Dad's reaction
    was only a little extreme--
    he scooped her, whining,
    off the ground,
    snatched me and my partner off her feet,
    made to throw us in the bin.
    There was a little snarling about
    "a proper pair of sneakers."
    But as he turned,
    I did too, dropping
    to the ground,
    stepping towards freedom,
    my garish, glittering future
    in pink.

    ~ HM 2016
    all rights reserved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem... Just got back from an early morning (5:45 am) Starbucks book group meeting! So up it goes NOW! So glad you could join me for coffee!

      Delete
  10. Donna,
    I made myself finish this poem before I could read these. So here's my weird take on this photo.

    Invisible Girl

    What appears
    at first glance
    to be a missing
    flip-flop
    is actually evidence
    of invisible life forms
    who tend to hang out
    near trash cans
    just in case
    someone is looking--
    discreet aliens
    prone to leaving
    small signs
    so you just
    keep wondering.

    --Margaret Simon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donna,
    I made myself finish this poem before I could read these. So here's my weird take on this photo.

    Invisible Girl

    What appears
    at first glance
    to be a missing
    flip-flop
    is actually evidence
    of invisible life forms
    who tend to hang out
    near trash cans
    just in case
    someone is looking--
    discreet aliens
    prone to leaving
    small signs
    so you just
    keep wondering.

    --Margaret Simon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna--you did NOT have a 5:45am book group meeting actually, did you? Thanks for humorously caffeinated hosting. This crop of poems was much more similar than other days', don't you think? I'd love to have time to do some analysis of that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did and I do, every other Thursday morning! I can't believe it either!
      Do you suppose the similarity in poems comes from the familiarity of the object? The color was very distinctive, too. Maybe I SHOULD take another look at them and categorize and analyze!

      Delete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...