Thursday, February 18, 2016

SJT - Delight



Dawn of day,
  Eagle’s flight,
     Lightning bugs
        In the night,
          Golden sunsets,
             Home in sight:
                These are things that bring delight.

Today's Spiritual Journey Thursday's word is Irene Latham's OLW, "Delight".  I love this word.  It is akin to saying something just "tickles" me.  A spring day, a grandchild's laughter, a butterfly landing nearby, a bird's call, or any other special moment is cause for delight!  I love those special times that bring a smile, and a maybe a little laugh to go with it.  How delightful to be delighted!
 
I once knew a girl whose name was Delight.  She was the one and only person I've ever known with that name.  She also was an only child, so I imagine she truly was the delight of her parents' lives.  I never really thought of her as delightful, but maybe I didn't give her a chance to live up to her name.  She may be more of a Delight to others now that she's no longer a teenager.

As a teacher, there were times when a student would give me, or be, a true delight.  My delight came at the times when I saw that they finally "got it" and beamed from ear to ear; the times they would give you a picture, not because they didn't want it, but because their intent was to draw it for you in the first place; the times they were kind to another student who was struggling for some reason; the times they gave more of themselves than others did, because they wanted to do their best, and the times they watched in awe God's world unfold to them.

I want to be that kind of delight to the Lord.  I want to be that kind of delight in the world.  So how can I be a delight to the Lord in my daily walk?

"Lying lips are abomination to the Lord: but they that deal truly are his delight."  
Proverbs 12: 22

"If the Lord delight in us, then he will bring us into this land and give it us, a land which floweth with milk and honey."
Numbers 14: 8
God mentions a few times in Proverbs, those things that are an abomination, and that not doing those things gives him delight.   And it seems that when we do what God would have us to do, or delight Him, we receive some pretty nice blessings from God.

"Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He Shall give you the desires of thine heart." 
Psalm 37: 4

This verse is often misinterpreted in its initial reading.  Delighting ourselves in the Lord, does not mean that God will give us all the things we want in life when we love Him.  All our desires are changed - He will give you NEW desires.  We will begin to delight ourselves in different things than we did before.  God changes the desires.  God gives us the desires -  Not God gives us the things we thought we wanted... He inserts in our hearts new wants, new desires.   That was an eye opener to me a number of years ago as a new believer, and it is a wonderful thing!  He actually helps me in my daily walk then!  He is leading me to make better choices - less of the old is calling me to do what I should not do.
 
"I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart." Psalms 40: 8

"But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.  And he shall be like a tree planted by the rives of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."
Psalm 1: 2

I guess this is why it is so important to read the Bible each day, either to start the day or finish the day - or better yet, both times! Then it is easier to start keeping the words "within my heart", and continue throughout the day with a delight in doing His will...and even being open to listening to His will!

This morning, I began my day at 4:55 am.  I woke early to pick up a friend by 5:15 am and drive the 25 minutes to Starbucks for coffee.  Oh, yes! (I heard you under your breath say, "Really? That early?") and meet two other friends, to do a book discussion.  We are reading and discussing "Audacious" by Beth Moore.

I find this time a delight that God has given me - a new desire... waking up before sunrise, getting out of a warm bed in the cold of winter, traipsing out in the snow to a sit in a frigid car that won't warm up until half-way there, to fill a time that I used to desire to sleep, with a desire for making connections with other Christian friends and with Him - and doing it excitedly and with true DELIGHT.  I look forward to these mornings!

When I write, I want to be still filled with a delight that God has given me.  I want to delight in Him and hopefully, keep that spirit of delight in all that I do.  I know people who can do that.  I want to be that kind of person.  It isn't always easy, of course.  But I think that the more I learn to REMEMBER to stay in the Word and DELIGHT in His Word, the more God will be delighted... and THAT will ultimately be the delight that others will perceive.  But God comes first.

Delight is such a beautiful word.  I would like to know that I give God delight.  Delighting others - well, that is not really the goal, but it is a byproduct of delighting God!  And you will find so many more things in this world delightful, too!  So take care of the delighting God department, and you have the rest in your pocket.

This may have been a ramble this morning.  I was just so filled with a happy delight after book group, that I overflowed and wrote something.  I should go back and read it, I guess!  See if it made any sense.

"A poem?" you ask.  Hmmm.  Just a sec.

Delight

Dark
Early morning, no
Light
In sight, cold
Gray and
Heavy; where's
The delight?

Truly, delight must start
Here just when
God has your heart; in the
Inward part
Let His fire
Edify your
Desire.

by Donna JT Smith

An acrostic it came out to be.  A mirrored acrostic.  Dark to Desire with a bit of Delight in between.
Have a day full and a full day of delight!

And now go check out the Linky at Holly's place Reading, Teaching, Learning and see what others have come up with for today's OLW - Delight!




11 comments:

  1. So many delightful gifts in this post, starting with your Delight acrostic and ending with your Mirrored Delight Acrostic. I know I will revisit your post to linger over all the beautiful Scripture quotes and thoughts you posted, too. Thank you for every delightful word!

    p.s. FYI: I didn't see your link on Holly's site....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me! I went there after posting, and then got distracted reading all the other posts - forgot all about linking!

      Delete
  2. Donna, your post was full of scripture and poetry-a double delight. Thanks for all of it to savor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be honest. I have a tough time finding delight in anything besides my bed at five o'clock in the morning! I did enjoy hearing about your delight, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mirrored Acrostic is a new form for me. Love that "inward part." That's where I want to keep my delight. God in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna YOU are a delight. I love thinking of you rising and writing and enjoying fellowship in the wee hours... also love your reminder of how it's not about what WE want...it's about being open to all those other delights we haven't even thought of (but our Higher Power has). We have to get our egos with their plans and scripts out of the way and be open. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to look at this a couple of times to understand a mirrored acrostic. What a fun form! And your beginning acoustic - so many lovely images there! Eagles, fireflies, sunsets, and home - all bring delight as did your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever mirrored acrostic, Donna. And you remind me, I got the book Audacious for Christmas (earlier went to the simulcast, so heard Beth Moore's talk on the topic), and I can't think of a better way to process it than in a book group. Your delight in this post is palpable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poems, your insight, your dedication to writing, your well-chosen words - all of those delight me! Thank you for reminding us that our focus is to delight the Lord, and all other delights will follow. Have a delightful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Doraine - I'd have a hard time finding delight that early in the morning. ;-) I love that you do, though. What a joyful post! SO many references to delight in the Bible!

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...