Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Puzzling

Over the past week, my daughter and I did 4 jigsaw puzzles.  I gave my grandson (28 months old) a Curious George 24 piece puzzle.  It was done with help from parents and he was excited when he saw George on the finished picture.  But he had his sights on bigger and better things - the 500 and 1000 piece puzzles we were doing.  For a while we told him "no" and guarded the pieces from being taken from the table either on purpose, or by accident as they stuck to his shirt sleeves.
Finally, I decided, why not let him in on the fun?  He likes to sit and color for long periods, maybe he really would like doing this, too.  And what's the worst thing that could happen?  We can't finish a puzzle?  So we offered him a seat and a pile of puzzle pieces to assemble.  And assemble he did.
So careful, so thoughtful - so young!
Those pudgy little fingers picked up pieces and maneuvered them around until he found a fit.  No matter that the colors didn't match.

He loved the "sun" pieces.
It occupied him for quite some time and allowed us to be entertained both by the puzzle and watching this little guy working so diligently alongside us.  He was thrilled with what he'd done...and so were we!

7 comments:

  1. Wise woman. It is so easy to say no, but you said yes. You all had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a such a wonderful time putting those puzzles together - together! And he didn't lose any pieces...just had to retrieve a few from the floor when they stuck to his sleeves!

      Delete
  2. We love jigsaw puzzles. I often think the ones in my classroom are the first puzzles some children have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I had that experience, too, though not so much when I started teaching in the early 70's. In the last 15ish years it seems their only experience with many things was confined to what they used in school - puzzles, game boards, scissors and crayons just aren't in the homes like they used to be.

      Delete
  3. I am impressed with his focus, Donna. What a guy! Puzzles are such fun. We didn't do any this year & I miss the doing. So glad for all these fine moments you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that it is just because I'm his grandmother! But as a teacher, I keep noticing his hand grip, his manipulation of small objects and his quiet perseverance, and he amazes me.

      Delete
  4. I used to love working on puzzles with my son, though he was much better at them than I was. Your little grandson is one smart boy!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...