Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Make It Good

I can't help but write about my grandson today. But in writing about him, I am really writing about every child at any age really. My grandson is 28 months old, and I am astounded at what he knows.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could always make sure good stuff was going in brains?

His eyes
watch.
His ears
hear.

His fingers wrap around the blue crayon.
He does not look up.
He studies the lines he has made.
“Blue!”

His blue eyes twinkle.
He sees everything.
He hears everything.

Say something.
Listen.
It will echo back to you,
In a tiny voice,
Sometimes behind you,
Sometimes almost underfoot.

Do something.
Watch.
He is your mirror.
You did not see him,
But he saw you;
He heard you.

“Blue”
He saw it.
He heard it.
He knows it,
now.
What else will he hear
and learn
from you?

Make it
Good.

His eyes shine,
His ears hear
everything.

And
wouldn’t it be
nice
if it was always
Good?
His eyes sparkle.
He grips the brown crayon.
“Brown!”

You did not think he knew that one.
But he’s been watching,
And listening to
you.

14 comments:

  1. Like the reminder in poetry form. Nicely written.
    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I want to always remember that... and not just for him.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to him and something you can share with him now and when he can read it for himself :)
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful wish, and a sweet capture of this time, Donna. I love the line (and title) 'Make it good'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I think I should post this on my refrigerator to remind myself for every day and every one.

      Delete
  4. Make it good. You put an idea so big into those little, easy to remember words. I hope we all do remember and put this idea into practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to make sure to remember to "make it good", and it saddens me when I see young ones around people who don't take care in what they say and do around them.

      Delete
  5. This poem is delightful, Donna. My daughter is just a bit older than your grandson and she does a lot of the same things when she colors (and observes the world). It's incredible to observe their sense of wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their sense of wonder is so contagious! And I am totally amazed at how quickly they pick up new things. See tomorrow's pictures...

      Delete
  6. My prayer is that I (BeeTee = Grampy) would never be the one to put a bad thought or a negative image of him in his mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BeeTee, I don't think he could pick up a negative thing from you...I love to hear him imitating you clearing your throat! He's certainly watching you and listening closely. He's a few years from imitating the beard.

      Delete
  7. Yes, they are watching. My daughter is a teenager now and doesn't often want to admit it, but she still watches and learns. Your poem is a beautiful reminder to live a life that is worth watching and learning from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only we could ensure that it is good for all the kids. What a sweet boy you have and now another on the way. What a lucky boy to have a grandmother so talented in writing!

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...