Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Quinzaine for Cold Rain

 

Quinzaine comes from the French word quinze, meaning fifteen. 
A quinzaine is an unrhymed verse of fifteen syllables. There are seven syllables in the first line, five in the second line and three in the third line (7/5/3).The first line makes a statement, and the next two lines ask a question relating to that statement.
I used the Quinzaine format, to make a longer poem of 8 stanzas.

My husband killed a spider last night...and we all know what that means for the weather. 
And of course the dog got alerted to something...probably the rain. 
She usually does that when my husband isn't home.  I love that. 
Don't get me wrong; I'm happy that she lets me know about dangers
and such, but she usually goes and hides, barking from a distance. 
And then when all quiets down and you're all cozy and comfy, don't
you just hate when you have to uncozify and uncomfyize to wake up
and go to bed???
  
The dog growls low and then barks.
Did she hear something?
Is she scared?

Such a cold and rainy eve.
What would comfort you?
What would warm?

Grab a good book from the stack.
Do you consume books?
Do they you?

Flames from the logs rise and flicker.
Are they comforting?
Do they dance?

Embers are mesmerizing.
Might they hypnotize?
Do they glow?

Warmth emanates from the hearth.
Does it caress you?
Does it seep?

The cold and rain seem distant.
Are you comforted?
Are you warm?

Drowsiness soon overcomes.
Will you crawl to bed?
Will you stay?
 
267 words today

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, & thanks for the intro too. I love the way you moved through the evening. You just created my favorite scene. We do get terrible cold in Colorado, but very, very rarely cold rain. I love the structure of this, & will try it. It's not quite as limited as the haiku, but also is so intriguing with the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the structure of the poem,especially the questions. I love your new words "uncozify and uncomfyize." They are absolutely perfect for the situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the new words you created. My favorite stanza is about the flames and if they comfort or dance. And the pic you used is quite appealing and cozy.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...