Tuesday, April 21, 2015

R is for Reserved for Sweet Dreamers

This is the Regal, Remarkable and Really Royal beyond belief A-to-Z April 2015 Challenge!!!!  And I am an A to Z Participant.  And it is Day 18, Letter R!

Again this year I am writing a poem a day to celebrate National Poetry Month.  It's my FOURTH YEAR in a ROW of writing a poem a day for the A to Z Challenge. My theme this year, is signs I've photographed and poems to go with them.
For more AtoZ fun click on the R!

Tomorrow, meet me at Laura Shovan's Author Amok for my guest post!  The topic for April is Clothing Poems... I'll have a few originals and a few oldies and some good links, to boot - no I'm not doing boots.

Today I have a Rondeau (for R) for my R sign:
A Rondeau has 15 lines in all, arranged as three stanzas: first a quintet (5), then a quatrain (4), and a sestet (6).  Its rhyme scheme is: aabba aabR aabbaR. The R (refrain) is short and is a phrase from the first line.  All the other lines are longer and have the same metrical length.


Reserved Parking for Sweet Dreamers

Sweet dreamers may park here to sleep,
A vigil we will gladly keep;
Relax, repose, with closing eyes -
You’ll be surprised how fast time flies
While you enjoy your rest so deep.

As round the dial the clock hands sweep
And sun retreats for moon’s slow creep,
The stars call out with shiny cries,
“Sweet dreamers!”
 
Don’t be alarmed if you count sheep,
For as they leap, sweet dreams you’ll reap;
It will not take too many tries
Before succumbing to the prize;
When you awake the birds will cheep,
“Sweet dreamers!”

©Donna JT Smith, 2015

I cannot believe that we are on S tomorrow!
Tomorrow is also Earth Day.
And remember, I'll see you HERE again with some silly S stuff.
And don't forget I'll be guest host at Author Amok at Laura Shovan's!  Exciting stuff...oooohh! And my clothing topic begins with an S!  Ha.  Just realized that.  I mean, I am so clever.  Look how I put all this together to be a super-well-thought-out, incredibly and meticulously organized day. Yup.  That's me.  Or I...

My SOL, hosted at Two Writing Teachers, for Tuesday - I have begun reading with a child who is homeschooled, but whose mom is concerned about his progress.  Ah, to be teaching and not testing.  I am loving this time doing what I love to do, but not the ugly parts!   I don't even have to do recess duty or bus duty!
Finding printable books online, scouring the public library for appropriately leveled books, and dumping boxes of books from past teaching days or books soon to be a grandchild's... is there anything funner?  Yes.  Making up activities and games.  Watching the osprey via web cam as they return to their nest.  Finding out interests for later motivations and inspirations.
And R is for Reading directions, too.  My daughter sent me this text and picture:
First he built for fun then he asked me for the instructions and made this truck!
I know it's only 4 pieces...but he's only 3...and he "read" the directions.  Give the kid a break!  I am his grandmother, and I declare him a genius!

12 comments:

  1. That's an interesting sign. Cute poem to go with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just improved the picture! It was too hard to read! It's a neat store, Sweet Dreams, that sells all sorts of unique and interesting home decor pieces, from small knick-knacks to furniture. It's a lot of fun to to shop there.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow-I just know I would love that place! Great poem Donna :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you would go bananas in there! Lovely store! We've bought a number of livingroom chairs there, including two Canadian rockers/gliders that are so nicely built and smooth! They have an FB page.

      Delete
  3. Lovely poem. Really got the feeling of quiet reverie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your sign-inspired poetry theme, Donna! My son and I have a strange affinity for signs, so I'm going to "borrow" your idea for writing inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Signs are so much fun to use I've found. I was a bit worried at first that I wouldn't find them and that they would be hard to write to. But the only one I'm "almost" stuck on is Z. Have one, but would prefer a different one. We'll see!
      Good luck on your writing!

      Delete
  5. Love the peacefulness of that first verse, especially, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I messaged the store so they could see and read it. They thought it was great. I'll have to stop in to see them sometime soon.

      Delete
  6. Indeed, he is a genius. Following directions, 1 2 3 4 is a first wonderful step. Love that you're back teaching again & having fun. They are so lucky to have you. Your poem is wonderful, those 'sweet dreamers' & the structure doesn't seem easy. Great post! (Will look for you about clothes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's quite a hands on kid! I changed my guest post just a couple of days ago. Another recent post was the same poem as mine - somehow slipped through the cracks. But it worked out fine! Went back to my original topic plan.

      Delete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...