Wednesday, April 15, 2015

M is for Moving

This is the Monumental, Mystifying and Madly Magnificent beyond belief A-to-Z April 2015 Challenge!!!!  And I am an A to Z Participant.  And it is Day 13, Letter M!

Again this year I am writing a poem a day to celebrate National Poetry Month.  It's my FOURTH YEAR in a ROW of writing a poem a day for the A to Z Challenge. My theme this year, is signs I've photographed and poems to go with them.
http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2015.html
Click here to access more great AtoZ blogs!
Right on the fence line of the cemetery...

My husband and I simultaneously did a double-take when we saw this sign right on the edge of a large cemetery!  It is, of course, for a business close-by.  However, the sign was closer to the cemetery than the business that was for sale and moving.  I could not get the picture very well, but you can see off to the left of the sign up in the snowy portion, there are some headstones there.  Then there are some more headstones just to the right out of range of the camera.
I wasn't sure if it should be a whole cemetery moving to somewhere else, or if it was the inhabitants that were packing bags and leaving... I decided it was the inhabitants.

Moving On Up

Soon-to-be-empty lot for sale...
We're picking up roots at last;
It's gotten much too noisy here,
The summer traffic's too fast!
We've packed our bags, we're moving on,
Though always stationary;
We're moving now, shuffling off to,
A quiet cemetery.
Off to the shady countryside 
Where we can peacefully rest,
Never having to move again,
except to squeeze in a guest.

©Donna JT Smith, 2015

This poem is also for the LAST Poetry Jam prompt "Sometimes It's Time" - a moving on to the next thing...  Poetry Jam is moving on and this is Mary's last post on this site until such time as she feels it may be time to gather us together again.  I will miss these prompts and the fellowship.

24 comments:

  1. The poem invokes a sense of peace and happiness :D Loved these lines :D

    Off to the shady countryside
    Where we can peacefully rest,
    Never having to move again,
    except to squeeze in a guest.

    I can relate to this feeling... sometimes it brings such relief when the thought of settling somewhere; where you can actually move on, comes true! To leave behind the past... and move on to better things :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this! I'm in the process of a very distasteful move at work, so I appreciated the lightheartedness of this post. Thanks for the smile!

      Delete
  2. You will be missed also, Donna......but I hope to see you elsewhere in the sphere..... Your poem made me smile, but this final move is one I am not much in a hurry to make....

    Thanks for your support of PJ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be right here, continuing to write! It's been fun this past year!

      Delete
  3. "We're picking up roots at last;"...to uproot oneself is difficult and painful but it's okay to move on when you have to i guess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't see moving after burial, but I guess that's been done before, too!

      Delete
  4. I moved at the end of March. I used to live in an apartment complex and it was so loud there. Now I live in a house on the outskirts of a city and it's nice and quiet here. I like it much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how people can live in cities. I'm a country-quiet girl forever.

      Delete
  5. Oh this made me smile. I can see them with their suitcases moving on to quieter pastures. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying writing to signs this month, and this A to Z Challenge letter and Poetry Jam just fit so well. Hope to keep in touch with you!

      Delete
  6. This made me smile and is true and works really well, if a trifle dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, I suppose it is a bit dark, if I were ever (I guess I am sometimes) serious!

      Delete
  7. The sign and your poem made me smile.
    I have enjoyed your poetry and hope to see you again in other challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be too bad to lose touch with the PJers! Hope to read more of your offerings too!

      Delete
  8. Can you just picture a whole bunch of zombies with suitcases in one hand and their headstones in another? I guess if traffic is really that loud though, it's hard to rest in peace. Great poem! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should have moved a few years earlier though, when the Naval Air Base was still open just on the other side of them! Still, summer traffic there is pretty heavy at times! You wonder what would be in their suitcases.

      Delete
  9. Donna,

    I loved your response to the prompt. A tongue in cheek aspect, though in UK, there have been some instances of removing a cemetery to make way for a road, or commercial purposes.
    Moving on, in a different mode..

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it happens rarely here. Mostly we go around!

      Delete
  10. Donna, you always make me smile :-). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. has to happen eventually, luv the joy of rest in your poem, contentment shows

    thanks for stopping by to read mine

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice one, Donna! Enough pizazz in this poem to raise the dead :-)

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...