Friday, May 8, 2015

Threelips



It's Poetry Friday, and though I am cutting back on posting poems, today, in honor of one of the first tulips I've come across in three seasons, I am posting an acrostic to a tulip.

I wish tulips were longer-lasting and had more flowers per plant, but then I guess they'd be a rose...and a rose by any other name - well, obviously would be just as sweet.  But a tulip by any other name -  actually a tulip by any other name would still not smell that sweet.  Because no matter what you call it, it is still what it is...not the most fragrant posy on the block.  And when a tulip is done being a tulip, it is really quite ugly.  It is however, quite lovely for a while.

So, that said, here's an acrostic to a tulip that is being pretty for the time being, even if it doesn't smell much like anything but wet dirt.

(Onelip)
Tulip

Two green leaves
Underneath a
Living goblet of
Intensely red
Portly petals.

I'm so sorry.   I thought I was going to stop after onelip, but I've decided to continue my tulip brigade.  It has now become a threelips post.  These last two are not quite a "flowery" as the first. I have some dead tulips on my porch that were from Easter.  They were very inspirational.

(Twolips)
Tulips

Time to pop
Up and spring to
Life, for
Inside of a week our
Petals will wither and
Slip to the ground.

And now a rhymy acrostic...

(Threelips)
Tulips

The fragrance of a tulip is
Unlike hyacinth,
Lily or rose;
Instead it's more the odor of
Parchment paper or
Sunflower toes.

So instead of tulips... I had "threelips"!

Happy Poetry Friday!  It's springing up at Michelle H. Barnes place!

14 comments:

  1. Donna, I have one single tulip that came up from the earth this year. I guess it wanted to make a splash all by itself. Your #3 poem made me laugh. I wasn't expecting that ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the surprise of tulips popping up all by themselves...
      and I wasn't expecting the ending to #3 either.

      Delete
  2. Love these. The last one made me laugh. All three had me hankering for tulips, which are just beautiful but difficult to grow - especially in my part of the world where we don't have the frosts they need to germinate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that you can't get tulips to grow there. You cold probably do it if you made an artificial environment for them, digging up the bulbs and storing them in a refrigerator or freezer for a few months before replanting. But that's a lot of bother and it may not work!

      Delete
  3. Tulips always make me think pf spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite are hyacinths and daffodils for spring flowers though!

      Delete
  4. Pretty darn inspiring for a flower that smells like "wet dirt"! LOL Love "a living goblet" in lip #1, "slip to the ground" in lip #2, and in lip #3, who wouldn't adore smelling like "sunflower toes"? Excellent acrostic agility, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even really sure what sunflower toes smell like, but I think they must be tulippy.
      But don't they just look like goblets? With a nice fine, green stem even! It just struck me as I looked at the picture I'd taken.

      Delete
  5. I also like "living goblet"! Now I want to compare parchment paper and a tulip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll have to write something for geraniums soon. I do like their pungent smell - nothing bland about it!

      Delete
  6. Love these! Glad you did three, I particularly like sunflower toes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why stop with one when they keep getting funnier and funnier?!?! Three cheers for your threelips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL I love your sunflower toes and threelips. I wrote about tulips this week, too, but not nearly as cleverly or as thoroughly. Great job! Why are you cutting back on putting up poetry?

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...