Wednesday, April 22, 2015

S is for Slowly State Law

This is the Super, Sumptuous, and Seriously Stupendous beyond belief A-to-Z April 2015 Challenge!!!!  And I am an A to Z Participant.  And it is Day 19, Letter S!

Again this year I am writing a poem a day to celebrate National Poetry Month.  It's my FOURTH YEAR in a ROW of writing a poem a day for the A to Z Challenge. My theme this year, is signs I've photographed and poems to go with them.
http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2015.html
Click on the badge to go to more links for the AtoZ Challenge!
First, let me say this - read this A to Z Challenge post.
Then, let me say this - go visit me at Laura Shovan's at Author Amok today.  I'm guest hosting for her clothing themed poetry extravaganza today!  My topic is skirts, and I have some original poems, new and old, and some very old work by my favorite childhood poet.
Thirdly, I want to say it is Earth Day!  Celebrate!  The first Earth Day was April 22, 1970.

It is just Such a buSy day!  I Simply could not Select juSt one poem today.  I had to write two poemS here, becauSe I had two pictureS for S.  I did the firSt one and then saw the Second Sign aS I was parked in town.  The Second one really Struck me funny when I read it aS a command, inStead of a picture telling you what the State law is about pedeStrians in a croSSwalk.

Slow?  How So?

A simple cane would do
To tell cars you move slow;
I don't think you need a sign
To warn them this is so.

Or does this sign proclaim to us
Your brain is what is slow,
And we should take with grain of salt
All that you say you know?

No, that can't be the way it is -
I think you must be saying
That Maine life is relaxed, laid back;
So slow down if you are staying!

©Donna JT Smith, 2015


Here you go - found a better one!

State Law...

"State law - within crosswalk"
Seems a silly-ish demand...
It doesn't say which one to state -
If it's for sea or land.
I could say stop on red -
I could say green means go;
Maybe I should say something
That some people don't know.
Like what the limit is on fish,
Or when to wear a helmet;
Wear your seatbelt in the car -
A cook should use a hairnet.
I'll state a law as I go past,
Though I'm not sure they'll hear it,
For traffic noise is louder
As you step across quite near it.
So why I need to mutter laws
Makes no sense that I can see
To "state law - within crosswalk"
Seems an awful law to me.

©Donna JT Smith, 2015


13 comments:

  1. "Your brain is what is slow..." That made me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost ended my poem there but it seemed a mean thing to say about the poor guy just doing his job!

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with a slow pace for a way of living. That's why I live in rural Kentucky - where rush hour is two cars going past the house.

    I like that your poems today speak about everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we joke about traffic jams when we have to wait for a car at the end of our road to pass before we can venture out!

      Delete
  3. In my experience people don't take much notice of a cane anyway. Just as like to push into you as not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to use a cane and crutches for a bit, and out in public I was okay... in the elementary school it was a bit dangerous. I soon opted for the wheelchair when I was there!

      Delete
  4. Hi Donna,
    Thank you so much for the kind note and enquiry!
    I really appreciate your concern! But i am really sad
    for the poor response from our fellow writers, may be
    I too could not respond to many of my friends, thus
    got really frustrated and slow down the things.
    as you said not really ended up but will be picking up
    soon, Wonderful going Donna, I appreciate your speed LOL
    Keep going
    All Good Wishes
    ~ Philip Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that you will soon get another blog post. It is difficult starting out. The more blogs you comment on, the more people will respond. Still, some days are not as busy as others! But it is okay. I need to write, so I write not knowing if anyone will respond. If you check your stats, you will find that people DO go there. Most do not leave comments, though we would hope that they would!

      Delete
  5. We live in So. CA. and people drive everywhere and very fast. I grew up in a town that had no stop signs, because it was obvious that someone should stop there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy earth day. i remember when it was a thing. i'd like to slow down just a little and be more mindful. but not at stop signs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Humorous, cute and fun! I love them both! No offense, but I believe your mind might be as wrapped as mine!
    Visit me at: Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B of Tremps' Troops
    with the A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never been so entertained reading witty remarks about slow traffic signs. In Hawaii, we also have a lot of Slow or slow down signs. Ah, didn't run into your blog in 2015, maybe after this A-Z is over, I'll look at your old April posts. Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh lol, your link took me to 2015, scratch part of the above comment. Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...