Friday, October 6, 2023

October


Poetry Friday...

Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page:

My poem for October was plunked down into FB this morning...or late last night:

October

October teases leaves
to begin their tinge twinges of
green to orange, yellow, red:

It begins the crisper nights;
it does a flash freeze on blades of grass;
it turns trees into bouquets,
and groves into giant mounds of mums;

It takes the sweetness of the summer breeze
and gives it a cinnamon kick
that swirls around your head
and tickles your nose.

And it ends with barely a leaf on a tree.
A coating thick on the ground
swishes and crackles
in your wake

as you scuffle-shuffle
toward the brown and gray
of November.

by Donna JT Smith ©2023

11 comments:

  1. I think we can all identify with this imagery, Donna, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The glory of autumn revealed in your words, Donna - just beautiful! I love the "cinnamon kick."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, beautiful poem - I love tinge twinges! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "it turns trees into bouquets" I love this line, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it's good to see a Donna Smith poem...it's been too long for me. Cinnamon kick in the head. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful imagery in your poem. Love scuffle-shuffle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, so many sweet phrases in your poem. "October teases" "crisper nights" "cinnamon kick" "swishes and crackles" and "scuffle-shuffle." It gives me warm fall feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, this poem is full of the beauty of Autumn. There are so many lovely lines, especially the stanza that shares two seasons: sweetness of the summer breeze
    and gives it a cinnamon kick.
    I hope your October is filled with blessings. It is so wonderful to see you on PF this week.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

The Progressive Poem 2024

If you are here for the 2024 Progressive Poem, you made the trip safely! I will post the AtoZ Challenge poem later. I was going to try to re...