Friday, October 27, 2017

Metaphor for My Life

In November I will be going to a writing workshop given by the Maine Writers & Publishers Alliance.  It is over an hour away, but (or should that be "and"?) I think it will be fun.
The workshop is called "The Magic of Metaphor" and is being given by Rachel Contreni Flynn.
http://mainewriters.org/the-magic-of-metaphor-a-poetry-workshop/
For the workshop, each participant must submit one poem for critique, a week before the class.  So here's mine.  Started yesterday, tweaked and expanded this morning.  I think I'm done.  I hope so.  I'm at least finished.


Caught in Cotton

My life, a quilt,
With coffee spilt,
Hand stitched, it holds,
Pieced new and old
Some thinning parts
And softer spots
A mix of hues
And scattered knots.
Most threads are taut
Though some uncaught.
Uneven seams
That capture dreams.
And over there
A little tear.
Or was that a tear?
A tear or tear; it isn’t clear
Unless you hear.

True blue, blood red,
In layers spread.
I wrap myself in
Undone frays,
But shed
Each thread
When comes the day.
Then handed down
In measured folds
Caught in cotton -
Memories told
Pieced together
Daughters to sons
Embellishments
In new quilts spun
But all the while
My fabric’s there;
My life, a quilt,
Had much to share.

Donna JT Smith, October 26, 2017

Enjoy more Poetry Friday with our hostess, Brenda, at Friendly Fairy Tales today.

11 comments:

  1. I always admire your rhythm and rhyme in your poems, Donna, admire your ability to make the lines work so well. This is lovely, the quilt as life. I think you had a birthday this week. (Hope I'm right!) So it is a poem for celebrating that, too. Have a wonderful time at your workshop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thursday was my birthday...yes. You amaze me.
      I'm excited about joining writers for a day of writing! Never done it before!

      Delete
  2. I love how you inserted that little aside in italics! Can't wait to hear more about the workshop/class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aside seemed appropriate! I'm psyched about the writing session! I'll post after it.

      Delete
  3. I've never been to a writing workshop, but I'd love to go one day - it must be pretty inspiring to be surrounded by other writers! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so much scope for imagination in this. Quilt is a lovely metaphor for life. There are many great lines. This section caught me on first reading:

    "Some thinning parts
    And softer spots
    A mix of hues
    And scattered knots."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your metaphor and the way you developed it, Donna. I hope you have a great time at your workshop. What a great treat to give yourself. I will picture you zooming there on your motorcycle, braid flying like a loose thread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You cover a lot of (soft, quilted) ground with this poem, Donna! I like how it is passed down, becoming new, but "all the while/My fabric’s there." Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you knew I would love your quilty poem! You wove together a lot of wonderful images! If you had to put a binding on your quilt to frame it and tie it all together, what would the binding be? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a magnificent question! Now I must think...I'll be back.
      There are some thoughts beginning to stir.

      Delete
  8. The quilt is a lovely metaphor for a life--and the one in this poem is so richly described and flows with such rhythm. I can't wait to hear more about the workshop.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

O is for Optimistic

Good Words Alphabetically: O is for Optimistic I wrote this in 20 min last night after writing to the word “oasis” and being all set to pub...