Friday, October 20, 2017

Oh, Pumpkin!

Last week we drove through Damariscotta, where they were having their annual pumpkin fest...
There was a huge crane hoisting a giant pumpkin for a weigh-in and a huge crowd was gathered - well, huge for Maine anyway.  There were a few hundred people there and more roaming the main road to view decorated pumpkins on the sidewalk.

These are not your run of the mill giant Jack-o-Lanterns - these are huge, unglobal fruits that take on personalities.  And the grower of each pumpkin goes with whatever the pumpkin is calling out to them as they decorate it and turn it into the something grand it was yearning to be!
Here are a few examples:








We usually see the Regatta, where they have carved out the inside of the pumpkin to make a boat.  Then they attach a motor and try to ride around the bay with it.  Some work quite well.  We missed that this year, unfortunately.  But if you ever get a chance to see it, I highly recommend this Fest and Regatta!

Oh, Pumpkin!

Oh pumpkin, oh, pumpkin
you're such a fine fellow
a whole lot of orange 
a little bit yellow
sometimes with some green
and tinges of brown
and all will make way
when you roll into town! 
you may be a mermaid
an owl or otter
a tooth with a brush
just ready to totter,
but inside you're all pulp
with some seeds and some goop
and I want to have you
perched out on my stoop
for you are a pumpkin -
finest gourd of the fall
and I like you bestest of 
any and all.

Donna JT Smith
Time for more poetry at A Day in the Life, with Leigh Ann who is hosting Poetry Friday today!




21 comments:

  1. I love seeing these photos, and "Oh, Pumpkin" is so much fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pumpkin Festival and Regatta is really a lot of fun, and everyone comes out to see and participate in all the pumpkin fun that weekend. The "Oh, pumpkin, oh, pumpkin, you're such a fine fellow" was just how it begged to start. But I wondered, does anyone use the word "stoop" any more?

      Delete
  2. What a great poem for a fun day. Love the rhythm and the rhyme. It's a celebration poem. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! It is such a fun celebration! (And the poem was fun to see emerge, too.)

      Delete
  3. Donna, your poem is a wonderful ending to a great day of viewing gigantic pumpkins. The designs were great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many more I couldn't get a picture of, too. They are so creative with them, and totally line the main street sidewalk.

      Delete
  4. Please consider creating an image poem for my fall gallery, Autumn Ablaze (invitation: http://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2017/10/autumn-ablaze-invitation-to-create.html).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Donna, and I understand the title of your poem. OH! PUMPKIN! They are fabulous. It had little to do with decorating, but you might like a new middle-grade book out recently: "Giant Pumpkin Suite" by Melanie Heiser Hill. Part of its plot revolves around growing giant pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So. Much. Fun.

    A town near us has a yearly pumpkin festival, but as a land-locked Ohio burg, I'm sure they've never conceived of a pumpkin REGATTA! That would be something to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The regatta is amazing, fun and pretty hilarious! I'm looking for a picture of we took a few years back. If I find it, I'll post it next Friday.

      Delete
  7. These are such fun jack-o-lanterns, and your fun poem is perfect to join them. We grew a big (for us) pumpkin this year. It sits on our porch surrounded by its smaller friends. Instead of decorating it, I plan on feeding it to my chickens. I can't wait to see what they do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to see what our Yellow Lab would do with one to roll around the yard!
      Your pumpkins remind me of two stories I wrote when I was in my twenties. I may have to revive them if I can find them!

      Delete
  8. What fun and oh, such creativity! I am trying to incorporate some poetry for fluency lessons this week, and I think this is one I will be using! I think my students will like this one, especially after showing them the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let me know how they do! Poetry is a great way to build fluency - hadn't thought of that. But the rhythm and rhyme has to help set them up for success!

      Delete
  9. These pumpkins are amazing! Thank you for sharing their pictures. And as always your poem sums up all the fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll set my goal for next year as seeing and photographing ALL the pumpkins.

      Delete
  10. How long do these carved pumpkins last? Before the rot sets in...? There is obviously so much work gone into them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure, but most of them are simply painted and an assemblage of items, so those will last quite a while. The open carvings probably not as long. I should find out if they seal them with something clear to extend the life.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for your fun and jolly pumpkin poem Donna, and all surprising, gigantic pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...