Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A Slice of Coincidental Seagull

This past Friday, for Poetry Friday, I posted a beautiful poem that Keri Collins Lewis wrote for me as part of a Summer Poetry Swap that Tabatha Yeatts organizes.

She sent me this wonderful poem placed on a picture of a seagull soaring.  Both picture and poem were special to me.  Part of the reason is that I'd fairly recently begun collecting some "things seagull" to put in our retirement home, Gull Haven, across the road from the ocean.  I posted my pictures of seagulls that inhabit my current home (still very close to the sea) just after the Keri's poem.

One of the comments on the post that day was from Linda Baie.  In her comment she stated, "I'm going to send a picture to you of a sea gull perched on a piling (I think) that I found in an antique shop when I was on the Chesapeake Bay with my students. I collect little iron animals, this was a lovely "find"."

Then she emailed me this picture, below, of her seagull find:
He is so cute!  What a neat "find"!

I mentioned to her that my parents had been antique dealers/shop owners for most of my life, and that after their death, my brother had taken over the antique shop.

Huh...
Guess what.
She emailed me back saying that her brother is an antique dealer, too.
Wow!  Now that's a neat coincidence, but we're not done yet.

On Saturday morning, my husband and I usually go out for breakfast.   Well, on our way there, we drove by an indoor flea market and an antique co-op where my brother has an area with some of his stuff.  My husband suggested that we go in and look around after eating.  I love doing that, so we headed there when we had finished our meal.

We strolled through the flea market items, and then we headed over to the antiques portion of the mill building to just browse.

I had just glanced at the items in two big glass cases and was rounding the corner to a peruse the third, when staring at me from the second shelf at the far end of the display, was this:

Really and truly!



So, what do you think I did?



Oh, yes, I did.  You knew I had to.



Of course,
  • when someone just happens to send you a poem with a seagull on it,
  • and you just happen to share your collection of seagulls to prove how amazing that coincidence is
  • and another blogger friend hundreds and hundreds of miles away just happens to comment and emails you a picture to show you part of an animal collection she has that includes a seagull
  • and then your husband just happens to suggest going into a shop you haven't been in in for years
  • and then you just happen to see amongst the thousands of items in the shop the very same seagull you saw in the blogger friend's picture the day before...

well, I think you are supposed to buy it and take it home.  Don't you?

So I did.

Doesn't he look happy?


If you haven't gone by other Slicers yet... they are waiting at Two Writing Teachers... see if some nice coincidences happen to happen to you today!
Let me know if they do!

16 comments:

  1. Love hearing all the fabulous detail, Donna. I know we have a great connection, but this is over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That you and Linda both found this charming little seagull is uncanny! I would have bought him, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! I love this story! Thank you for sharing this magical connection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow! This really is an amazing story! Talk about "coincidences!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Quite unbelievable. Of course you had to take this little home w with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very cool! Mi love when this sort of thing happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those seagulls are cute. And I love that you found the same gull. That is neat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was just meant to be - what a great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just visited your post! You have a similar theme of coincidences today! Loved it!

      Delete
  9. What lovely serendipity! This brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much synchronicity in posts today! I love it. I also love when objects (especially in nature) take on a certain symbolic meaning so that you can always feel inspired at those moments of chance encounters. (Both natural and iron...) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much synchronicity in posts today! I love it. I also love when objects (especially in nature) take on a certain symbolic meaning so that you can always feel inspired at those moments of chance encounters. (Both natural and iron...) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow--I am amazed by the coincidences and the sharing, as well as the profound meaning of small moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow--I am amazed by the coincidences and the sharing, as well as the profound meaning of small moments.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...