Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Haibun for a Haibun

Don't get excited!  Photo is from some long ago warm season.
I am going to quote from the comments of Diane Mayr's Random Noodling here to help us out with my post:
Diane's quote:
"There's a guidelines sheet available from the Haiku Society here that you might want to check out. It always helps to read haibun, which you can do in online journals such as Haibun Today. Everyone writes a little differently, but what I try to do is to write a haiku that isn't directly related to the prose portion, but instead takes the reader somewhere else only to end up in the same place."


And here is my comment to Diane that same day: 

"I do love your haibun, and thank you for the link to more. I've spent a bit of time there now, just reading. I wanted to try a haibun for a haibun... "

I went to Haibun Today, and read through a number of Haibun.  I did not go to the Haiku Society link yet...but will. 

My haibun for a haibun:

What's a haibun? I wondered. There didn't seem to be a clearcut way for me to follow any rules to writing one. How can you write without rules? I read more. The first two or three I read, I just didn't get, so didn't like. Then the wonderful December Visitor one. Yes, that one I could see. Funny even. The next five or six began to make sense to me. There was no real rule. Maybe that was the good thing about them. I wondered if they were harder to write than they looked. You can only tell by writing one.

Gate hinges creak
Fenced thoughts spill on open ground
Dandelions grow
 

7 comments:

  1. I was intrigued, too! This feels wonderful to me, Donna. I like reading about what you did to try one. "Gate hinges creak" is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gate hinges did creak as I opened to this form! And it may not have been a rose that bloomed 🌸 but I did get a dandelion!

      Delete
    2. Dandelions are our first flower for the bees, always useful!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed the prose about your journey... and your haiku is wonderful! Thank you for sharing resources about writing a haibun. I placed it in a "folder" to further examine and try on some future day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's really just a haiku with a little prose preface... as near as I can tell! I'm going to research further. But the Haibun Today site has a lot of good Haibun on it to get a nice feel for them.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for spreading the word, Donna! I echo Linda's words, dandelions are for the bees! And, without bees, we'd probably starve to death. Ultimately honey will be the result from that intersection of bee and dandelion--literally and figuratively. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I know you know poetry, so a form you aren't familiar with is a bit intriguing. Anything including dandelions at this time is perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...