Monday, April 14, 2014

Ayuh to Z Challenge - L

My theme: Book Titles A to Z written by Maine authors,
and a poem for that title each day for the month of April.
The poem is not about the book, but is written with the title as inspiration!

Welcome to L!
L is for 
Lighthouse Lullaby
by Kelly Paul Briggs
Lighthouse Lullaby

What would I sing to a light house
if I had to sing a song?
What do the waves say to it
when they are crashing so strong?
I think that it would like to hear
soft murmurs from the stars
the sound of sand 
swish-swashing
as it swirls in to the land
I think a lighthouse would like
to hear
a tune of a conch’s shell
and maybe the faraway ringing
of a harbor’s channel bell
a lullaby for a lighthouse
would be like one for you or me
except that the sound of the singing
would be the soft, salty sound of the sea.

©Donna JT Smith, 2014

I would just like to say that Lighthouse Lullaby literally came out in one fell-swoop, or one swell foop, as I like to call it.  I did not change a thing about it - even the line breaks, except the typos.  I could not look at the computer while I wrote this one.  It was too sudden and unexpected - a poem vomit, if you will, only beautifuller.  It was distracting to look at anything while I listened to the words inside me.  I like when those happen.  I'm not crazy about vomiting, but when it's a poem that comes out... it's just different.
Lighthouse Lullaby is illustrated with beautiful pointillistic, pastel-toned pictures. The story was  inspired by a true story of a lighthouse keeper who lived on a Maine island 100 years ago.  For approximately 4 to 8 year olds.

Kelly Paul Briggs is an author and illustrator of children's books.  She was born in Rockland, Maine, in 1958 and raised in Camden, where she lives with her family. Briggs' great-great-grandfather was mayor of Camden in the 1800s.  
:~o~::L::~o~:
Little Loon and Papa
by Toni Buzzeo
In Little Loon and Papa, Little Loon is nervous about his diving lessons.  Papa Loon shows him how to tuck in his feathers and dip down into the water, but Little Loon doesn't even want to try it and heads off on his own. Being on his own he gets scared, but his Papa soon comes to rescue him.  For the 4-8 year olds again.
Toni Buzzeo is also the author of "No T. Rex in the Library","Dawdle Duckling," and "The Sea Chest" (remember this one - hint, hint!). Toni lives in Maine.


The Last Book in the Universe
by Rodman Philbrick
In The Last Book in the Universe the world has been almost destroyed. An epileptic teenager fights to bring human intelligence back Earth. For 8-12 year olds.
Rodman Philbrick was born in Boston, and grew up in New England, working as a longshoreman and boat builder. He has written books under his own name and pen names. He and his wife, author Lynn Harnett, live in Kittery, Maine, and Marathon, Florida.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An old book for boys was written by James Otis Kaler, called The Lobster Catchers: a Story of the Coast of Maine.  It is available for download as a PDF here.
Kaler was born in Winterport, Maine. When Kaler was 13 he became a reporter in Boston, and at 16, he covered Civil War battles and events.  He wrote adventure and patriotic biographies especially of interest to boys. He authored over 150 children's booksincluding Toby Tyler or Ten Weeks With the circus - which was made into a Disney movie in 1960.
He used two pen names, James Otis for most, and Amy Prentice for books written for young readers.
  

This post was lovingly brought to you by the letter L!

LOL!!

"LMNO" - remember when that was one letter?
Remember when you learned that M was it's own letter?
You don't?  Well, it is.
And M is next.

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your Lighthouse Lullaby poem - soothing and peaceful for baby with the swish-swashing, swirls and conch's shell. Perfect, Donna, no need for editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I could probably mess with it, but that might be what I end up with - a mess!

      Delete
  2. I love the images that were going through my head as I read your lullaby. Very sweet. . . . Also the image of a poem vomit. LOL!
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Poem vomit is always a good thing! Dropped by your site today. Had a wonderful time there on a few posts!

      Delete
  3. awww pooor little loon. he's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I would like to read this one to my little grandson.

      Delete
  4. Lighthouse Lullaby is so soothing. The sounds of the sea (especially the shushing waves) have always carried me away to a restful, peaceful place. Beautiful, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the story of your poem, along with your poem, Donna. It really is a special one, and that last line, perfect. Love all these books too!

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...