Friday, April 26, 2013

W is for War Horse

It's Friday and the letter is W in the A-to-Z Challenge!
My theme - lobster boat names in Maine and an original poem to go with each.  Visit more great A to Z posts by clicking on the tab above. 
It is also Poetry Friday, so click on the Poetry Friday link on the side to find more great links to poetry!

So here we go with War Horse and Waffle!

"War Horse"
Though winds become wild
And white-capped the sea,
My bones are as sturdy,
As sturdy can be.

I've won my fair share
Of battles and fights
I've carried my captain
Through many a plight.

Faithful and fearless,
Trustworthy and strong
The captain and I
Are where we belong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Waffle"
Counting the days till I'm out of wraps;
Warm weather's coming, begone you cold snaps!
I want to be out on the sea riding high;
I want to be soaring, yes, I want to fly!
I feel the air warming and see the snow melt;
I remember this feeling that I haven't felt -
Since last spring -
Oh, that zing!
Yes, it's spring!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Waffle?   I didn't stop to ask.  Maybe it's a good way to start the day?

War Horse is for sale.  Just sayin'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tomorrow - X!  
Yes, Virginia, there is a lobster boat name that begins with X.

NEWS FLASH!
 a Z has been found!  
Phew!  My lobster boat trip through the alphabet will be complete next Tuesday!

29 comments:

  1. Maybe, when it's on the waves, it's waffling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be! The ocean can be a bit like traveling on a waffle!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful theme! I love the themes and words I'm discovering during this A to Z challenge. And I think it's fantastic that you found an X and a Z; I suspect that wasn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you are right, X and Z gave me a run for my money...along with U! But I finally found them!

      Delete
  3. Great theme to use boats for your alphabet. I enjoyed the poem.
    Francene.
    A - Z Challenge
    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit! I'll pop on over to your site in a bit!

      Delete
  4. Donna, hi loved your W entry today. It was so timely too. I have nominated you for a Liebster Award. Go my site for more information. :)

    Enjoying your poetry too. From one poet to another. :)

    http://mary-anderingcreatively.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I popped on over to your site, too!

      Delete
  5. wow, you are working this challenge girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks, Lynn! It's been a fun ride actually!

      Delete
  6. These are really innovative poems and its cool that you have an idea for X
    fellow A to Zer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. X is a particularly unique boat with a happy story...I was lucky to have "found" her!

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of alphabet poems based on lobster boat names! Amazing! This collection seems ripe for publication, maybe regionally first, then nationally. Your poems are a fun peek at this part of the country/lifestyle. Thanks for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been toying with that idea. I wonder if I can muster enough courage to do it. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

      Delete
  8. Waffle! *giggle*
    I wonder what I'd name my boat, if I had one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know...War Horse is for sale...just a thought...paint 'er pink, bedazzle her a bit and call her "My Little Pony"! You too could be riding the high seas!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha! Not a bad idea! I'd love to live by the ocean!

      Delete
  9. War Horse looks to be a great fishing boat - wonder if she is sea worthy?

    Popped by from Arlee's AtoZ post.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks to be in pretty good shape, and is a nice big boat!

      Delete
  10. The very idea of naming a boat "Waffle" sets my imagination in motion. Waffle as in a breakfast waffle...or waffle as in the verb - to waffle over the decision to buy a boat? To sail? I could keep at this all night. But I loved both your poems, Donna- and these lines especially:
    I want to be out on the sea riding high;
    I want to be soaring, yes, I want to fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that name really makes me start to think. Like you, I wasn't sure if it was a noun or very they were going for.

      Delete
  11. Another great group of poems and boats, Donna. I wonder about waffle... Love the ending of the 'waffle' poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those tarps so look like blankets for their winter rest!

      Delete
  12. War Horse and Waffle look great! :) Love the juxtaposition of the images and the poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Myra! Glad you liked them!

      Delete
  13. Great work with W! I can't wait for X, Y, and Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun! I love the first stanza esp in War House, and that wonderful ending on Waffle--lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should notice that about War Horse...
      Originally the first stanza was all I had for this one. A couple days before it posted I added to it. But to me, now it looks like two separate poems - the first stanza is one, and the next two are another. I may have to break it up again so it works/reads better. Thanks for visiting today!

      Delete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...