Saturday, April 21, 2012

S is for Squirrel


Font: SF Slapstick Comic
Tagxedo Color Theme: Slow Motion
Poetry Form: Sedoka


The Sedoka is a poem that does not rhyme.  It is made up of two three-line stanzas with the
syllable counts: 5/7/7, 5/7/7.  A Sedoka may address the same subject from different perspectives.



S is for Squirrel

Upside down hanger
Seed stealer at bird feeders
Home wrecker in the attic

Selfish protector
The first to complain loudly
And warn about intruders

© 2012 Donna J.T. Smith

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I watched
through the kitchen window,
the red squirrel,
like a dog with a tug toy, 
head low
jerking to and fro
her back legs braced
strong jaws clenched
her whole body straining,
ripping at the
loosened fabric
of an old tarp
that no longer protected
the long neglected mower.
The stubborn fibers
 at long last surrendered
to the zealous squirrel.
She joyfully popped down
to the ground,
her mouth stuffed overfluffed
with extravagance for
the newborns' nest.

© 2012 Donna J.T. Smith

I'm writing poems through the alphabet, for 4 to 104 for the A to Z Blogging Challenge.  Visit other A to Z Bloggers by clicking on the tab at the top of the page, and selecting a blog to visit.  Happy hopping!

6 comments:

  1. I have an old quilt that sits on a bench in the front porch & squirrels have taken the stuffing there. Your poem reminded me so well. They are everywhere, & probably because I feed them, but I do like watching. Your poem conveys that tenaciousness well. They seem proud & unrelenting all at the same time, hence "selfish protector" and "strong jaws clenched". Nicely written, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had more squirrels when we lived in town than we do now that we are out in the woods. I loved watching them interact and "argue" over food. Now we just have one red and one gray that come for an occasional visit. And this red one has been quite tenacious in his attempts to rip off pieces of this tarp lining!

      Delete
  2. I've so enjoyed your A-Z posts. Glad to have found you, wondering if you have a twitter account. Love to add you to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do. I don't do much on it right now, but it's DonnaSmith. Hope you post after this challenge. I'd love to stick around and read more from you!

      Delete
  3. Great poem. Love squirrels, especially the tiny red ones native to Britain's woodland, which are sadly in decline.

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't lose your red squirrels. They are delightful to watch!

      Delete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...