Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for Cow



Welcome to C, 
It's day number three!

C is for Cow

I knew a brown cow we called Clarabelle;
She went way up north on a farm to dwell.
When her milk chaque matin Farmer Brown would take
She shivered and gave him a chocolate milkshake.

And this is the end of the Clerihew... but I could not stop there...sorry, keep reading!

Her friends would all laugh, but not so the farmer,
For hot cocoa he drank when the days became warmer.
Warm for the summer and in winter cold?
She needed to switch or she might be sold!
So summers she sits in her cool air conditioning,
And in winter by fireplace with shawl she's positioning.
Her milk is now cold when the weather is hot
And in winter warm cocoa is there to be caught.
So now that sweet cow is the talk of the town
For she's never, no never let Farmer Brown down.
Now this sweet tale of a cow has been told,
And this bovine never fears to be sold!

© 2012 Donna J.T. Smith

Whew! 
I just had to tell the rest!
Glad I got that off my chest!

Wow!  Look at all the C connections!
Background:
The image was made in Tagxedo using the  
ChunkFive font, and the  
Candy Corn color theme.  
This is a form of poem called a Clerihew.  
A clerihew has the following properties: (thank you Wikipedia)
  • It is biographical and usually whimsical, showing the subject from an unusual point of view; it pokes fun at mostly famous people
  • It has four lines of irregular length and metre (for comic effect)
  • The rhyme structure is AABB; the subject matter and wording are often humorously contrived in order to achieve a rhyme, including the use of phrases in Latin, French and other non-English Languages
  • The first line contains, and may consist solely of, the subject's name.
"Chaque matin", of course, is French for "each morning"...but you knew that!
 

16 comments:

  1. Wow! So many Cs in this poem! Fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This- a favorite line: "And in winter warm cocoa is there to be caught", plus your ability to master these structure poems is great, Donna. I love the story, & can imagine it as a wonderful picture book of pure whimsey. (I believe I've said that before.) And, amazing C's-all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow is right! This is so much fun! The c's all over and the wordle in the shape of a cow makes the poems even more fun! I love the hot cocoa in winter and cold in summer, but the idea that she will never be sold. I'm sure kids would love this! I just have to share it! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. C is for Cool as in Cool beans (from the book Wonder). You are an amazing poet! So glad you finished the story, what a clever cow! Now I must read your A's and B's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem is fun - and I really like the Wordle art you're using for each letter. Very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so clever, Donna! I wouldn't sell that cow either. :)

    Happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Clever. Love the poem, wonder if I could do this? The art part. . .hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved it! and tagxedo is so fun to use. In my seventh grade history class, we write clerihews when studying medieval Europe.

    Thanks for sharing! Good work so far on the A-Z challenge; I'm participating, too!
    Mandy @ The Chockboard

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for the blogfest. Very cute poem! New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun. Thank you for sharing the format.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I loved this! What a great whimsical post. Congrats!!! I'll keep coming for more.

    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so talented with your whimsicle poetry! I love it! I want to go back and read A and B as well. Keep it going. Good luck with the A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a fun post! Well done!

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the picture of your cow. I also knew a clarabelle cow. Great post.
    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete

Drop some breadcrumbs! Let me know you were here!

October

Poetry Friday... Go enjoy some great poetry by clicking links on Poetry Friday's host Matt Forrest Esenwine's page : My poem for Oct...